[comp.sys.mac] Needed: Tax preparation software

chee77@elroy.uh.edu (12/11/89)

Posted for a friend:

----------
Can anyone recommend a good tax preparation program. I have rather complicated
taxes, with schedules for medical expenses, investment income, etc.

Ideally, this program will print out the tax form, so that I need only sign it.
And although it won't be any help this year, I'd like to be able to use it next
year on an ongoing basis, and have my taxes compiled at the end of the year
(nearly) automatically. Buying annual modules would be acceptable.

I will greatly appreciate any help.

----------

Please direct replies to me, I will post a summary if there is interest. On a
related note, what software is best for personal financial management, not only
checking and budgeting, but also to keep track of investments. Maybe this
software will include tax preparation?

Thanks in advance,
Fred

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (12/14/89)

In article <5177.2583686a@elroy.uh.edu> chee77@elroy.uh.edu writes:
>Posted for a friend:
>
>----------
>Can anyone recommend a good tax preparation program. I have rather complicated
>taxes, with schedules for medical expenses, investment income, etc.
>
>Ideally, this program will print out the tax form, so that I need only sign it.
>And although it won't be any help this year, I'd like to be able to use it next
>year on an ongoing basis, and have my taxes compiled at the end of the year
>(nearly) automatically. Buying annual modules would be acceptable.
>
>I will greatly appreciate any help.
>
>----------
>
>Please direct replies to me, I will post a summary if there is interest. On a
>related note, what software is best for personal financial management, not only
>checking and budgeting, but also to keep track of investments. Maybe this
>software will include tax preparation?

My attempt to reply via email bounced, so I will respond here.

I am sure you will get many recommendations for MacInTax.  Let me echo them.  It
will almost certainly provide whatever forms you need and the output is acceptable
to the IRS (even Imagewriter).  The LaserWriter output is superb.

The user interface is quite nice and slick with all the appropriate linkages to
other forms, worksheets and schedules.  Also, for most input fields you can create
an "itemization" for your own personal records.  For example, for medical expense
you might want to have a complete, itemized list of each expense rather than just
the total.  You would just double click on the appropriate field and an
itemization window would appear allowinbg you to list each expense separately.
You wouldn't send this in with your return but it would make a good personal
record.

You can get the product from mail order houses for about $65.  You do have to get
updates each year ($55 from the publisher).  I wish there were a mail order update
too, since the update is essentially the same price as the original.

--
Larry Baum
Advanced Technology Center

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (12/14/89)

Dear Fred -
	The one and only choice for tax preparation software on the Macintosh
is MacinTax.
	MacinTax is a full tax preparation system that supports all forms
and schedules with form intelligence.  It knows how the forms hook together
and what makes sense in each area.
	It also displays the forms online and then can be printed out -on
plain paper - in a format that is acceptable for signing and sending into
the IRS.  The support the Imagewriter I, Imagewriter II, Imagewriter LQ,
LaserWriter, Laserwriter Plus, LaserWriter IISC, LaserWriter IINT, and the
LaserWriter IINTX.
	Also, if you are in one of the states for which they supply state
supplements - California, Connecticut (with forms for Non-New York Resident),
Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey(with forms for Non-New York Resident),
New York, Ohio, and Virginia - then you only have to run a conversion program
on your federal forms and then tweak them sightly by hand to have a state
form ready to go.
	I have fairly complex taxes, and last year I completed my taxes in
about two hours.  Which left me the time to help a couple of friends with
filling out their taxes.  MacinTax may not make it fun, but it sure lowers
the work that needs to be done.
	MacinTax is available from:
		SoftwView
		1721 Pacific Avenue, Suite 100
		Oxnard, CA 93033
		1-800-622-6829

	The Federal package is $99.00, and the state packages are $79.

--

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET