[comp.sys.mac] Microphone questions

long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard C. Long) (12/09/89)

A couple of questions on Microphone II:

Occasionally, I get Microphone II 2.0 into a state where EVERY keystroke will
cause my hard drive's access light to blink (the drive itself doesn't seem to
access, just the light blinks).  This is running under Multifinder 6.0.4,
Stock SE (plus memory) with internal 20MB drive.  Any ideas?  ps: I've already
checked for virii with Disinfectant.

Is MP II v3.0 out for real yet?  I've seen ads, but have yet to see an upgrade
letter.

Thx, Stitch
 /'')  /''  /   | mcntsh::long    -- or RAINBO --     |     A day for firm
/''\  /__  /__  | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            |     decisions!!!!!
----------------| ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long |       Or is it??
Richard C. Long | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com |========================

chou@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Hsiang Chou) (12/10/89)

In article <6768@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard C. Long) writes:

>A couple of questions on Microphone II:
>
>Occasionally, I get Microphone II 2.0 into a state where EVERY keystroke will
>cause my hard drive's access light to blink (the drive itself doesn't seem to
>access, just the light blinks).  This is running under Multifinder 6.0.4,
>Stock SE (plus memory) with internal 20MB drive.  Any ideas?  ps: I've already
>checked for virii with Disinfectant.

	Try the Clear Buffer command from the Edit menu. Be aware that
you'll lose everything shown on the screen before.

	By the way, is there a good reason not to support the set/clear TAB
escape sequence and local SETUP in the VT100/VT102 emulation in Microphone
II 2.0? Has this been changed in MP II 3.0? I ask this, because I couldn't
get Unix vi editor to work until I found that during login, the Unix host
sends a sequence of TAB setting escape sequnces to initialize the terminal.
Being lack of the TAB support, the internal TAB positions of the emulator
got screwup. The problem is solved by switching to another TERMCAP which
doesn't contain TAB setting in the initializing string (is).

--
Chih-Hsiang Chou	chou@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
Department of Computer Science

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (12/14/89)

In article <17545@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> chou@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Chih-Hsiang Chou) writes:
>In article <6768@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard C. Long) writes:
>>
>>A couple of questions on Microphone II:
>>
>>Occasionally, I get Microphone II 2.0 into a state where EVERY keystroke will
>>cause my hard drive's access light to blink (the drive itself doesn't seem to
>>access, just the light blinks).  This is running under Multifinder 6.0.4,
>>Stock SE (plus memory) with internal 20MB drive.  Any ideas?  ps: I've already
>>checked for virii with Disinfectant.
>
>	Try the Clear Buffer command from the Edit menu. Be aware that
>you'll lose everything shown on the screen before.

	I would also have to guess that it is probably related to the buffer
filling up and that doing a Clear Buffer should fix it.  Also you might check
that you do not have 'capture on' so that your text is going into a file.
(but it still shouldn't happen every keystroke).
	The buffer management, and screen handling is MUCH improved for 3.0 -
which before I am asked is off to the duplicators and should be arriving in
stores this Friday (or early next week)!!  I will be posting a change list
(hey, if Scott can do it - why can't I!?!?!?)

>	By the way, is there a good reason not to support the set/clear TAB
>escape sequence and local SETUP in the VT100/VT102 emulation in Microphone
>II 2.0? Has this been changed in MP II 3.0? I ask this, because I couldn't
>get Unix vi editor to work until I found that during login, the Unix host
>sends a sequence of TAB setting escape sequnces to initialize the terminal.
>Being lack of the TAB support, the internal TAB positions of the emulator
>got screwup. The problem is solved by switching to another TERMCAP which
>doesn't contain TAB setting in the initializing string (is).

	I just checked the source code to confirm my beliefs and both 2.0
and 3.0 of MicroPhone II support the tab sequences for VT100/120 emulation.
I don't know if this may be related or not, but in 2.0 all tabs were converted
into spaces on reception so that capturing or saving selections with tabs would
have gotten y0ou just spaces.  In 3.0 tabs are now maintained as tabs in the
buffer so that they get saved as tabs when saving to disk (and printing!).
	Is is possible that the tab sequences are unusual??  Could you please
send me the termcap which causes the problem, as I would love to try to
duplicate your problem (if possible ;-)

Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures
MicroPhone II Development Team

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025