[comp.sys.mac] Microsoft WORD doesn't save text files

jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) (12/11/89)

I just installed v 4.0 of Microsoft WORD and noticed that the Save
As... box doesn't let you set the type of the file you are abou;to
save.  That means that now you cannot export your Microsoft WORD
documents to arbitrary formats like macWrite or just plain text.
Sounds like Microsoft is trying to lock people into using WORD.

Grumble.

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com

george@swbatl.UUCP (6544) (12/12/89)

In article <10013@zodiac.ADS.COM> jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) writes:

>I just installed v 4.0 of Microsoft WORD and noticed that the Save
>As... box doesn't let you set the type of the file you are abou;to
>save.  That means that now you cannot export your Microsoft WORD
>documents to arbitrary formats like macWrite or just plain text.
>Sounds like Microsoft is trying to lock people into using WORD.
>
>Grumble.

Try clicking the "File Format..." button in the "Save As..." dialog
box.  This should get you to a dialog where you can set the file
format to text, MacWrite, RTF, and other MS word processing formats.

      /   George D. Nincehelser
     / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone
    / / /   Advanced Technology Laboratory
   / / / /\  1010 Pine,  Room 635  St. Louis, MO 63101
  / / / //\\   Phone: (314) 235-6544  Fax: (314) 235-5797
 / / / //  \\   UUCP: {pyramid, uunet, bellcore}!swbatl!george
/ / / //    \\   Disclaimer: You didn't here it from me!
--

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (12/12/89)

From article <10013@zodiac.ADS.COM>, by jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson):

> I just installed v 4.0 of Microsoft WORD and noticed that the Save
> As... box doesn't let you set the type of the file you are abou;to
> save.  That means that now you cannot export your Microsoft WORD
> documents to arbitrary formats like macWrite or just plain text.
> Sounds like Microsoft is trying to lock people into using WORD.
>
> Grumble.
Pull down on "Full Menus" under the Edit menu.  Then click on the "File
Format" button and go through the second dialog that comes up.

Or just use MacWrite II and avoid the problem ... :)

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

jones@optilink.UUCP (Marvin Jones) (12/13/89)

In article <10013@zodiac.ADS.COM>, jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) writes:

> I just installed v 4.0 of Microsoft WORD and noticed that the Save
> As... box doesn't let you set the type of the file you are abou;to
> save.  That means that now you cannot export your Microsoft WORD

Turn on "Full Menus" and you will see the standard Word "Format..." button
which allows the same list as in Word 3, plus some new types as well.

--
	Marvin Jones 		 uucp:    {pyramid, tekbspa}!optilink!jones
	Optilink Corp. 		 bell-net: 707-795-9444 X 206

nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) (12/14/89)

In article <10013@zodiac.ADS.COM> jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) writes:

>I just installed v 4.0 of Microsoft WORD and noticed that the Save
>As... box doesn't let you set the type of the file you are abou;to
>save.  That means that now you cannot export your Microsoft WORD

Actually, it has a button called "File Format" (in Long Menus only).  I have
explained this several hundred times to our confused customers, and all I
can say is "Bletch!"  (We sent them a free update, partly so we wouldn't
have to do this!)

--
-- Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please! --
Avi Rappoport                  nilesinc@well.UUCP, Niles.Assoc on AppleLink