[net.music] Concerts

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (10/14/85)

<>

   Changing the subject briefly from record-survey validity, the best guitarist,
and the start of another round of Kate vs Madonna flaming...

   After a several year hiatus from the realm of live music (see explanation
below), I'm ready to jump back in, starting with an appearance by Todd Rundgren
in a few weeks.  I have two questions:  has anybody seen Todd recently enough
to tell me what to expect?  Will it be a rocking Utopia show?  Just Todd and
too much taped background?  Just Todd and no tapes?  I've seen shows (billed
as Todd, not Utopia) that fit those descriptions, so I can only guess what
it'll be this time 'round.
   Question number two-- which good musicians are currently touring?  I'm
interested in people like Johnny Winter, XTC, Peter Gabriel (*does* he tour?),
Andy Summer (does *he* tour), the Beatles, Warren Zevon, and anyone else
who'll play quality music in something besides a stadium or sports arena.
   As to why I haven't been to many live shows recently, there are a few
reasons, but mainly it was because I lived in San Antonio.  San Antonio is
the kind of place that the likes of Judas Priest, AC/DC, Twisted Sister,
Ratt, etc. just *cannot* pass up.  I did see Neil Young there, but I suffered
through the general admission crush and terrible arena acoustics to hear a set
of electronic music (interesting; worth half the price of admission), and a set
of "Shocking Pinks" country (not my type of music).  I also saw Todd Rundgren
in a packed club; it was alright, but dangling my feet over the edge of a
balcony, seeing bits of the stage through the rafters, conduits, and water
pipes (the plumbing, not smoking, variety) left a bit to be desired.  Anyway,
those experiences, and the general lack of anything but badly derivative
heavy metal (in SA) kept me from even *wanting* to see any live music.  I want
to start again because it's kinda hard to expand your musical horizons when
you seldom hear anything new, and there generally is no comparison to the
thrill of hearing good live music-- just thinking back to such shows as
Utopia's "Oop's, Wrong Planet" tour (I had never heard any Utopia or much
Todd before, but was converted on the spot), Yes' 1977 show, and Johnny
Winter's tour of small clubs 5-6 years ago gives me goosebumps.
   Well, enough rambling.  Back to work...

 - joel "vo" plutchak
   {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

Can you say "opinion"?  I *knew* you could!

lip@masscomp.UUCP (John Lipinski) (10/16/85)

In article <1554@uwmacc.UUCP> oyster@maccunix.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) writes:

>   Question number two-- which good musicians are currently touring?  I'm
>interested in people like Johnny Winter, XTC, Peter Gabriel (*does* he tour?),
>Andy Summer (does *he* tour), the Beatles, Warren Zevon, and anyone else
>who'll play quality music in something besides a stadium or sports arena.

Yeh, I heard that The Beatles were going to play but I forgot when and where.

	- John

scco@ur-tut.UUCP (Sean Colbath) (10/16/85)

I believe Todd Rundgren just came out with a new album called 'A Capella'.
The album is just what the name implies - with a twist.  He has used some
sort of synthesizer that took samples of his voice, and used it to generate
the music for the songs (i.e. Todd Rundgren Guitar, Todd Rundgren Keyboard,
etc.), with him singing the lyrics!  I heard two songs on a 'new music'
show on a local radio station, and liked them a lot.  I also saw a video
for one on MTV - Todd singing, with lots of visual effects.  Not much, but
better than just sitting there and watching the singer/group play!  In
general, I think it sounded pretty good...

-Sean Colbath
UUCP:    {...,ihnp4}!seismo!rochester!ur-tut!scco
BITNET:  SCCO@UORVM

lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (10/17/85)

>   Question number two-- which good musicians are currently touring?  I'm
>interested in people like Johnny Winter, XTC, Peter Gabriel (*does* he tour?),
>Andy Summer (does *he* tour), the Beatles

                      ...ahhhh,not quite certain but I'd say your chances
                   of seeing the Beatles live are pretty slim.Anyway,glad
                   to be of assistance.

                                Helpfully yours,

                                  Larry Palena

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!lp102911

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/19/85)

In article <2407@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) (But don't bother!!) writes:
>>   Question number two-- which good musicians are currently touring?  I'm
>>interested in people like Johnny Winter, XTC, Peter Gabriel (*does* he tour?),
>>Andy Summer (does *he* tour), the Beatles

I don't think you'll ever get a chance to see XTC again--they stopped touring
several years ago because several of the band members never survived other
tours very well physically.

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

Warning: Objects in Terminal Room are Closer than they Appear...

hxe@rayssd.UUCP (Heather Emanuel) (10/20/85)

I saw him a few months ago.  The concert was billed as Todd
Rundgren, but it was Utopia.  It was a sort of mellow set, with a
few real rockers.  Watch for the amazing drum paraphernalia.
He was wearing the headset microphone, which really added to his
stage presence as he strolled around the stage to sing.  I loved
every minute of it.  (Unfortunately, he opened for the Tubes, who I
used to like but now I hate because of their horrible sexist
offensive boring show.)

By the way, Todd Rundgren did a song in which the most-repeated
phrase of the chorus was "if you should ask," so maybe that's the
title of the song.  It was beautiful.  Does anyone know what album
it's on?

--
--Heather Emanuel {allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, raybed2} rayssd!hxe
   I don't think my company *has* an opinion, so the ones in this