[comp.sys.mac] Stuck pin on Imagewriter II printhead

chet@arc.UUCP (Chet Wood) (12/13/89)

The bottom pin on my IW II is stuck. I figured out how to get the
printhead out and wiped off the gunk on the outside. I figure a tiny
dollop of some sort of solvent might loosen the pin, but what solvent?
The water in rubbing alcohol might cause rust. Stronger stuff, like
TCE, might dissolve the plastic.

Any hints from experienced hands?

Thanks in advance,

Chet.
--
Chet Wood                       ~                         (408)727-3357
     arc!chet@apple.COM         .  Advansoft Research Corporation

ldg@yoda.byu.edu (12/14/89)

In <CHET.89Dec12093742@sparcy.arc.UUCP>, chet@arc.UUCP (Chet Wood) writes:

>The bottom pin on my IW II is stuck. I figured out how to get the
>printhead out and wiped off the gunk on the outside. I figure a tiny
>dollop of some sort of solvent might loosen the pin, but what solvent?
>The water in rubbing alcohol might cause rust. Stronger stuff, like
>TCE, might dissolve the plastic.

Get some isopropyl alcohol (don't worry about the water) and soak the tip
of the printhead about 1/2 inch deep in it for a half hour or so. Better
yet, if you can get your hands on an ultrasonic cleaner, soak it in there for
about 15 minutes, making sure it does not tip over. If you use the ultra-
sonic cleaner, you will see ink shoot out of everywhere. Quite satisfying.
I have done this with all our IW and IW II heads, and have saved hundreds of
dollars that would otherwise have gone for replacements.

If you want to try using a Q-tip soaked with isopropyl alcohol, that will
at least clean off the face of the printhead and perhaps be less messy.

In either case, try the printhead out as soon as it is clean.

Lyle D. Gunderson  N6KSZ          CIS: 73760,2354     GEnie: L.GUNDERSON
zebolskyd@acoust.byu.edu          "Any technology without some attendant risk
350 CB / BYU / Provo, UT 84602   of misuse is probably trivial"  --Loise Kohl