[comp.sys.mac] Public Folder and hierarchy

louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) (12/14/89)

I finally got around to installing public folder and I really like it.
The question I have is:

	is there any way to open a folder in the Public Folder so
	I can copy selective files in that folder?

	For example, I have a folder "FOO BAR" in Public on a Mac.
	If I select (double click) "FOO BAR", Public Folder will
	copy the entire contents of "FOO BAR". I would prefer to
	open "FOO BAR" (and folders inside of it) and select
	the file I want....

The idea is to put all our "user" folders in Public and allow people
to see all there files from all macs. But they do not want to copy the
entire folder over when they just want one file....

--
Louis McDonald		Internet: louis@aerospace.aero.org
The Aerospace Corp.	America OnLine: Louis Mc

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (12/15/89)

In article <63413@aerospace.AERO.ORG> louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) writes:
>I finally got around to installing public folder and I really like it.
>The question I have is:
>
>	is there any way to open a folder in the Public Folder so
>	I can copy selective files in that folder?

The current release of Public Folder does not allow you to "look into"
subfolders.  All it tells you is how many files and how many megabytes
are in there.

There is a work around for some people who need this capability.  You can
have multiple Public Folders running on a machine.  You can customize them
to point at various directories.  So you could set up something like this...

  Public Folder #1 points at HD80:Public:
  Public Folder #2 points at HD80:Public:Graphic files:
  Public Folder #3 points at HD80:Public:Font Library:
  Public Folder #4 points at HD80:Public:Font Library:Bitmaps:
  Public Folder #5 points at HD80:Public:Tech Notes:

You get the idea.  This works, but may not solve you particular problem.

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce (author of Public Folder)