[comp.sys.mac] ethernet file server

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (12/12/89)

I'm posting this for a friend.  The last posting was a bit cryptic, and got
only one response, so I'm trying again.

The project needs an ethernet based file server for a bunch of Mac II's,
instead of an appletalk based network.  Anyone know of such a thing.

There current proposal is to talk to a PC on appletalk, acting as a gateway
to the ethernet.  This seems highly unecessary.

Thanks

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley

ccw@nvuxr.UUCP (christopher wood) (12/15/89)

In article <2375@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>The project needs an ethernet based file server for a bunch of Mac II's,
>instead of an appletalk based network.  Anyone know of such a thing.

>There current proposal is to talk to a PC on appletalk, acting as a gateway
>to the ethernet.  This seems highly unecessary.

>Thanks

>kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
>Kaleb Keithley

Ummm, How about any mac past the SE with an ethernet board running
AppleShare?  And, of course, ethernet on all the machines.  No need to
mess with slow appletalk at all.  Of course, this does cause a problem
with the LaserWriter.  You could probably put the routing (and print
serving) software on the file server, and have the server bridge to a
LocalTalk Network with 2 nodes (LW and server).  I haven't done this, so
don't take my word as gospel.

--
Chris Wood     Bellcore     ...!bellcore!nvuxr!ccw
                         or nvuxr!ccw@bellcore.bellcore.com