[comp.sys.mac] MSWord 5.0 <-> BITNET <-> MacWord 4.0 -- Help Needed

peter@apexepa.UUCP (Peter Palij) (12/15/89)

I have just been given the task to move MSWord 5.0 documents
over bitnet to MacWord 4.0.

1)  I propose to do this by uuencoding the file, chunking it, emailing
    it and uudecoding.  Is this reasonable?  If so, where can I get
    uuencode/uudecode binaries for the Mac (the PC is already equiped).

2)  Any words to the wise or experience with getting Word files to play
    properly between the two?  These files make liberal use of Word's
    features and fonts.

Emailed answers preferred;  if there seems to be any interest I'll
post a summary.

Thank you.

Peter

-----------------
Peter Palij                                               uunet!apexepa!peter
peter@apexepa.uucp                                      Phone: (412) 681-5083

--
-----------------

bob@rel.mi.org (Bob Leffler) (12/15/89)

In article <230@apexepa.UUCP>, peter@apexepa.UUCP (Peter Palij) writes:
> I have just been given the task to move MSWord 5.0 documents
> over bitnet to MacWord 4.0.

Moving files from the Mac to the PC isn't a problem.  Just save the file
in the PC word format.

However, moving files in the other direction isn't quite as easy.  The
only way that I have found that works and retains all the formatting is
to use the Microsoft Rich Text Format (RTF).  This is not to be confused
with the DCA(RFT) selection that WINWORD users see.

Unfortunately, with WORD 5.0 the RTF converter is an external program.  I
don't recall the exact name, but it'll be obvious if you do a dir *.exe
in your word directory.

The RTF file is an ascii file, so you shouldn't have any problems just
mailing it to your destination over BITNET.

BTW, I might mention one of the features of WINWORD that I like is it's
ability to read and write a variety of text and graphic file formats.

bob

--
Bob Leffler - Electronic Data Systems, GM Staffs, Office Systems Support Center
3044 West Grand Blvd., Room 11-101, Detroit, MI 48202 (313) 556-4474