[comp.sys.mac] What's the "Sneak" virus?

czychi@ethz.UUCP (Gary Czychi) (12/16/89)

Hi,

I just read in an old virus report that there is a virus called "Sneak". But
everywhere I looked, I didn't find any information about it.

So, could someone please tell me what it is and what it does? Is it another
nVIR clone?

Maybe it would be a good idea to write something about it in the Virus
Encyclopedia or the new version of Disinfectant?

Gary

        Gary T. Czychi             University of St.Gallen, Switzerland

                czychi@csghsg52.BITNET               (preferred)
                czychi@bernina.ethz.ch.UUCP          (CZYCHI@ETHZ.uucp)

		        Tel.: --41 / 71 / 57 17 22

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (12/17/89)

czychi@ethz.UUCP (Gary Czychi) writes:

>Hi,

>I just read in an old virus report that there is a virus called "Sneak". But
>everywhere I looked, I didn't find any information about it.

SNEAK was the name given to a hypothetical virus that Interferon was set up
to detect; the method of infection was changing a common System folder file
to type INIT.  It is not the name of a real virus.

The original SNEAK check was too rigorous and broke when Apple introduced
System 6.1; the result was a false positive report.

Interferon is, as I've said before, obsolete now and should be discarded.
Use Disinfectant or if you want to go commercial and get the extra support
and handholding, try the commercial product that I (plug alert) wrote,
Virex.  Both of these programs handle all the known viruses; Virex has some
extra features to help detect unknown ones and also an interception INIT.

Robert

--
Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.   !uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP
Announcing TEMPORAL EXPRESS.  For only $999,999.95 (per page), your message