[comp.sys.mac] Software to drive Apple's tape drive

weinhous@dinorah.wustl.edu (Martin S. Weinhous) (12/17/89)

My boss owns an Apple Tape Backup System, the 40 SC.  He finds the
Apple supplied software less than satisfactory.  Does anyone have
any suggestions regarding "better" backup software for use with
Apple's Tape drive?

Please mail responses directly to the address below.  I will sum-
marize and post the results.

Thanks in advance.
--

						Marty Weinhous
					  <weinhous@castor.wustl.edu>

jak9213@helios.TAMU.EDU (John Kane) (12/17/89)

In article <1062@dinorah.wustl.edu> weinhous@dinorah.wustl.edu (Martin S. Weinhous) writes:
>My boss owns an Apple Tape Backup System, the 40 SC.  He finds the
>Apple supplied software less than satisfactory.  Does anyone have
>any suggestions regarding "better" backup software for use with
>Apple's Tape drive?
>
>Please mail responses directly to the address below.  I will sum-
>marize and post the results.
>
>Thanks in advance.

I too own an Apple Tape 40 SC. While it works, it is veeeeerrrrrrrrry
ssssssssslllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I have used a variety of software with, including Apple's. I don't like
Apple's very much either.

Stuff that works:

   FastBack 1.*  ok, but still slow. I have used this the most.
   FastBack Plus new, faster, but I haven't used it enough to tell
   FastTape ??   new (at least to me), again not used enough to tell

I am currently using FB+ and FT right now, trying to decide which I like
better. FT seems to be faster, but, IMHO, the interface to FB+ is cleaner,
though this may be because I have used FB for so long.

I am interested in anything that anyone else uses.

BTW. I also have a DataStream from SuperMac. (I still have a blown
power supply on it, :-( and am still using the power supply from a
gutted IBM PC :-) ). The DataStream is a DC2000 like the Apple, and with
FB+ and FT, I have media exchange between the two drives. I now leave my
Apple at work and my SuperMac at home. Backups are a snap (tho slow) and
I can exchange the tapes without carting the ##%%!!## drives around.

I use the Apple under A/UX at times as well, maybe I should see if the
SuperMac will run?

 John Arthur Kane, Systems Analyst, Microcomputer Support and Training
 Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77843  (409) 845-9999

 jak9213@helios.tamu.edu     profs: x043jk@tamvm1.tamu.edu