[comp.sys.mac] WDEF virus: Am I immune?

vallon@sboslab15.cs.sunysb.edu (Justin Vallon) (12/15/89)

If the WDEF virus moves from disk to disk in Desktop files, then isn't using
the Desktop Manager effectively giving me a vaccination for any attempt
at spreading the WDEF virus?

Let's try to trace how the virus would get into my system.  I insert an
infected floppy.  Question 1:  Will it install itself into my Desktop file,
even though it isn't open?  Does it go around looking for Desktop files?

Let's say that it does get into my Desktop file.  It may as well not install
itself, though, because the virus is the only thing that will ever open the
Desktop file.

I now eject the infected floppy, insert a clean floppy.  Can the clean
floppy now be infected?

Just wondering.

-Justin
vallon@sbcs.sunysb.edu

mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (12/15/89)

In article <4249@sbcs.sunysb.edu> vallon@sboslab15.cs.sunysb.edu (Justin Vallon) writes:
>If the WDEF virus moves from disk to disk in Desktop files, then isn't using
>the Desktop Manager effectively giving me a vaccination for any attempt
>at spreading the WDEF virus?

  The WDEF virus infects AppleShare volumes as well, and they use the
Desktop Manager, so I guess the answer is no, you're not immune.

>Let's try to trace how the virus would get into my system.  I insert an
>infected floppy.  Question 1:  Will it install itself into my Desktop file,
>even though it isn't open?  Does it go around looking for Desktop files?

  If you have a Desktop file, you'll get it.

>Let's say that it does get into my Desktop file.  It may as well not install
>itself, though, because the virus is the only thing that will ever open the
>Desktop file.

  I'm not sure how the Desktop Manager works, but if you're sure that your
Desktop file never gets open, then you're right.  It might as well have
saved itself the trouble.  But...

>I now eject the infected floppy, insert a clean floppy.  Can the clean
>clean floppy now be infected?

  You'd better believe it.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail: mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu
Self-declared License Czar         | Real-mail: Dean Yu
University of Michigan             |            909 Church St
Computer Aided Engineering Network |            Apt C
     INCLUDE 'Disclaimers.a'       |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (12/15/89)

>If the WDEF virus moves from disk to disk in Desktop files, then isn't using
>the Desktop Manager effectively giving me a vaccination for any attempt
>at spreading the WDEF virus?

I use the Desktop Manager on my hard disk.  WDEF got into the Desktop file
there somehow.  I eradicated it, and it was back a day later!  How it
works, I don't know.  Perhaps this disk cannot spread it to others?

NEW QUESTION:  Does WDEF infect DesktopDB and DesktopDF?  They don't have
resources, so you cannot read them with ResEdit.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (12/15/89)

In article <1989Dec15.131728.6126@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:
|>If the WDEF virus moves from disk to disk in Desktop files, then isn't using
|>the Desktop Manager effectively giving me a vaccination for any attempt
|>at spreading the WDEF virus?
|
|I use the Desktop Manager on my hard disk.  WDEF got into the Desktop file
|there somehow.  I eradicated it, and it was back a day later!  How it
|works, I don't know.  Perhaps this disk cannot spread it to others?
|
|NEW QUESTION:  Does WDEF infect DesktopDB and DesktopDF?  They don't have
|resources, so you cannot read them with ResEdit.

The virus infects the Desktop file on any mounted drive (with the
exception of some mounted via TOPS).  If a client running the Desktop
Manager mounts the volume, WDEF will not be able to spread to or from
the server, since WDEF does not deal in any way with DesktopDB and
DesktopDF.  However, any client NOT using the Desktop Manger who
mounts the volume can either infect the server if it is not already,
or catch the WDEF virus from the server.

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |  "There were sweetheart roses on Yancey Wilmerding's
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  bureau that morning.  Wide-eyed and distraught, she
POTS: (617)873-3463  |  stood with all her faculties rooted to the floor."

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (12/15/89)

In article <4249@sbcs.sunysb.edu> vallon@sboslab15.cs.sunysb.edu (Justin Vallon) writes:
>Let's say that it does get into my Desktop file.  It may as well not install
>itself, though, because the virus is the only thing that will ever open the
>Desktop file.

I seem to recall that, when using the Desktop Manager, it is necessary
to REMOVE the DeskTop file, or the Finder will use it.  IF such is the
case, and IF the virus is willing to create a DeskTop file, then the
virus has an easy mechanism to spread itself, even on Desktop Manager
systems.

But I've been wrong before... :-)

Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de (12/17/89)

In comp.sys.mac vallon@sboslab15.cs.sunysb.edu (Justin Vallon) writes:
< If the WDEF virus moves from disk to disk in Desktop files, then isn't using
< the Desktop Manager effectively giving me a vaccination for any attempt
< at spreading the WDEF virus?
<
No.

The DT Manager is only used with volumes > 1.4 MB. On floppies, the Finder
still uses the old method. So WDEF _can_ spread onto your system.

Since I know next to nothing about WDEF, I don't know if it will survive the
next restart of your Mac, or if you change floppies. Don't risk it.

--
Matthias Urlichs