[comp.sys.mac] Simm installation

reyes@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Alex Reyes) (12/07/89)

I recently received four 1 meg simms from the chip merchants for my IICX.
I figured that I would leave the four original 256k simms in bank A and
install the four new 1 meg simms in bank B. When I booted the system it
would indicate only 2 megs total ram. I then reinstalled the four 1 meg
simms in bank A and the 256k simms in bank B. When I booted the system
again I got the correct configuration of 5 megs total ram. Was it really
necessary to install the 1 meg simms in bank A and the smaller 256 in
bank B or was it just an odd coincidence?

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (12/07/89)

reyes@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Alex Reyes) writes:

>I recently received four 1 meg simms from the chip merchants for my IICX.
>I figured that I would leave the four original 256k simms in bank A and
>install the four new 1 meg simms in bank B. When I booted the system it
>would indicate only 2 megs total ram. I then reinstalled the four 1 meg
>simms in bank A and the 256k simms in bank B. When I booted the system
>again I got the correct configuration of 5 megs total ram. Was it really
>necessary to install the 1 meg simms in bank A and the smaller 256 in
>bank B [...]

Yes.

From what I understand, the only Mac where this is NOT the case in the
Mac IIci.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

tejtemw@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk (EARL WILLIAMS) (12/11/89)

In article <1989Dec6.215849.16064@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> reyes@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Alex Reyes) writes:

>I recently received four 1 meg simms from the chip merchants for my IICX.
>I figured that I would leave the four original 256k simms in bank A and
>install the four new 1 meg simms in bank B. When I booted the system it
>would indicate only 2 megs total ram. I then reinstalled the four 1 meg
>simms in bank A and the 256k simms in bank B. When I booted the system
>again I got the correct configuration of 5 megs total ram. Was it really
>necessary to install the 1 meg simms in bank A and the smaller 256 in
>bank B or was it just an odd coincidence?

Installing SIMMs is not just a matter of snapping them in; you have to
attach/detach the correct resistors or set the jumpers correctly.  This
may have caused the variation in recognized RAM you got.  If you post
your hardware configuration (i.e. what Mac you have), someone can probably
tell you which resistor/jumper setting to use.

--
Earl M. Williams            ?8^)    "No matter where you go, there you are."
Inst. of Education, U. of London                            -Buckaroo Banzai

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (12/12/89)

Just a clarification of the previous posts:

When installing SIMMs, you only need to worry about resistors and/or
jumpers if you are installing the memory in a Mac SE or Mac Plus.  Although
this could be done by a person with the right tools, I wouldn't recommend
it.  Find a good dealer somewhere.  If you insist on doing it yourself,
make sure you have a good set of instructions, including diagrams of which
resistors/jumpers need "adjusting".

For machines since the Mac SE (including the SE/30, II, IIcx, IIx, and IIci)
you do not need to worry about resistors.  (The original posting requested
info about the IIcx.)

For the SE/30, II, IIx, and IIcx:  If you wish to upgrade to 5MB of memory,
you must place the 1MB SIMMs in bank A and the 256K SIMMs in bank B.  Otherwise
the machine will think that you have 256K SIMMs in all eight SIMM slots.

For the IIci:  This is no longer the case.  You may put 1MB SIMMs in bank B
and leave the 256K SIMMs in bank A.  In fact, this is the recommended
configuration if you are using the built-in video.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (12/12/89)

tejtemw@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk (EARL WILLIAMS) writes:

>In article <1989Dec6.215849.16064@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> reyes@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Alex Reyes) writes:
>>
>>I recently received four 1 meg simms from the chip merchants for my IICX.
>>I figured that I would leave the four original 256k simms in bank A and
>>install the four new 1 meg simms in bank B. When I booted the system it
>>would indicate only 2 megs total ram. I then reinstalled the four 1 meg
>>simms in bank A and the 256k simms in bank B. When I booted the system
>>again I got the correct configuration of 5 megs total ram. Was it really
>>necessary to install the 1 meg simms in bank A and the smaller 256 in
>>bank B or was it just an odd coincidence?

>Installing SIMMs is not just a matter of snapping them in; you have to
>attach/detach the correct resistors or set the jumpers correctly.  This
>may have caused the variation in recognized RAM you got.  If you post
>your hardware configuration (i.e. what Mac you have), someone can probably
>tell you which resistor/jumper setting to use.

There are no resistors to detach or jumpers to set on a II, IIx, IIcx, or
SE/30.  It is explicitly stated (at least in TN 176) that the higher capacity
SIMMs need to be in Bank A.  The same sort of thing, in addition to the
resistor/jumper, is true in the 68000 boxes (Plus and SE).  The thing I find
annoying is that Bank A on an SE without jumpers is the bank closest to the
CPU and on a jumpered SE is the bank furthest from the CPU.  The fact that
they didn't relabel them as Bank A and B rather than living them as SIMM 1-4,
in the same order, just makes things worse when trying to train someone.

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (12/12/89)

In article <1989Dec11.112101.213@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk> tejtemw@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk (EARL WILLIAMS) writes:
>Installing SIMMs is not just a matter of snapping them in; you have to
>attach/detach the correct resistors or set the jumpers correctly.  This
>may have caused the variation in recognized RAM you got.  If you post
>your hardware configuration (i.e. what Mac you have), someone can probably
>tell you which resistor/jumper setting to use.

I presume Alex has a IICX, since that is what he said he has.  I have not
installed simms in a IICX, but I have installed 1 Mb simms in a plain II, and
I can tell you that there are no resistors or jumpers to worry about.  I
believe that is true of all of Apple's newer machines.

One of the Apple manuals (I think the Owner's Manual, but I could be wrong)
explains how to add memory and clearly states that if different simms are
installed in the two banks, then the higher-capacity simms must be installed
in bank A.  Following the instructions, I moved the 256K simms to bank B and
then installed the new 1 Mb simms in bank A.  When I booted I had 5 Mb of RAM.

--
Dave Seaman
ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu

tejtemw@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk (EARL WILLIAMS) (12/12/89)

>tejtemw@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk (EARL WILLIAMS) writes:
Ignorant drivel. Mea culpa.
Sorry, folks; haven't installed SIMMs in MacII's.  No jumpers/resistors, etc.
80(,

--

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (12/18/89)

In article <5834@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) writes:
>One of the Apple manuals (I think the Owner's Manual, but I could be wrong)
>explains how to add memory and clearly states that if different simms are
>installed in the two banks, then the higher-capacity simms must be installed
>in bank A.  Following the instructions, I moved the 256K simms to bank B and
>then installed the new 1 Mb simms in bank A.  When I booted I had 5 Mb of RAM.

The Macintosh IIci is different.  Either bank may have the higher
density SIMMs, but because of the onboard video eating up some of bank
A's CPU-to-memory bandwidth, but not bank B's, if you have different
density SIMMs, you want to put the bigger SIMMs in bank *B*, not bank
A.

All the other non-68000 Macintoshes out there now are as Dave said:
bigger SIMMs in bank A.

--
Kent Borg                lloyd!kent@husc6.harvard.edu  or  ...!husc6!lloyd!kent
                                              H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617)426-3577