[comp.sys.mac] MacSE + DeskJet + Apple Cable + ATM = Success

cavrak@emily.uvm.edu (Steve Cavrak) (12/15/89)

Just a short progress report on "How to Attach an HP-Deskjet to an SE."

a.  Buy a Macintosh SE (or better).

b.  Disconnect your Deskjet from your DEC Rainbow or IBM PC, discarding
    the Rainbow or PC, though the cleverly minded will save the PC for
    possible use as a file server for their Macintosh if there are any
    free slots.

c.  Attach an Apple A2C0312 "Apple IIe to Modem Cable" betweem the
    printer port on the Macintosh and the Deskjet printer.  This cable
    may be obtained from your local dealer.  (Yes, that's right a
    "modem" cable.  Note that the recommended 311 cable is no longer
    manufactured.  Note also that this is NOT a Macintosh modem cable;
    that won't work.)

d.  Install the public domain Deskjet Driver.  This driver is found in
    the Info-Mac archives.  (This involves downloading, unhexing,
    unstuffing, and then popping things in the system folder.)

e.  Scan the accompanying manual to get the correct switch settings
    for the printer.

f.  Choose the Deskjet printer from the "Chooser".

g.  Print to your hearts content.

BONUS!

h.  If you are a bit disappointed with the print quality, you may add
    the Adobe Type Manager.  This will give you a very nice Helvitica
    and Times that prints at 300 dpi.  Not a speed demon, but very
    nice.

Steve

"Disclaimer?  What disclaimer?  We don't need no stinking disclaimers!"

mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick) (12/18/89)

In article <1367@uvm-gen.UUCP> cavrak@emily.uvm.edu (Steve Cavrak) writes:

> Just a short progress report on "How to Attach an HP-Deskjet to an SE."

 [Lots of detailed stuff deleted]

> d.  Install the public domain Deskjet Driver.  This driver is found in
>     the Info-Mac archives.  (This involves downloading, unhexing,
>     unstuffing, and then popping things in the system folder.)

I'd suggest you spend $79 and buy the MacPrint driver. You'll get a MUCH
better driver than the public domain driver AND it includes a cable
for the DeskJet as well. I started out with the public domain driver
and am MUCH happier with MacPrint. Also MacPrint supports HP built-in
and cartridges fonts as native Mac fonts (they appear WYSIWYG on your
screen) which can be very useful in getting faster output from the
DeskJet. MacPrint also works very well with ATM.

Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM    201-957-3057
AT&T Bell Labs     MT 3F-113	        (Dept. 79153)