[comp.sys.mac] 68040 vs 80246

meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) (12/18/89)

In article <14960@boulder.Colorado.EDU> kuo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (KUO ANDY Y) writes:

lots of stuff deleted

>  It is a fact that NuBus, SCSI, AppleTalk, 68xxx chip is superior than
>EISA/MCA, ESDI, nothing standard or build in, 80xxx(not include 80486).

Why not include the 80486.  From what I here, the 68040 is plenty
faster.  I don't remember the specifics - as a matter of fact I don't
think the specs are out but word is it's faster.

Paul Eric Menchen
meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu

In article <18213@netnews.upenn.edu> meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) writes:

| Why not include the 80486.  From what I here, the 68040 is plenty
| faster.  I don't remember the specifics - as a matter of fact I don't
| think the specs are out but word is it's faster.

  I think it's early to say what the performance, cost, or reliability
of the 040 are. For that matter I don't think we really know what the
486 will be, other than a lot faster next year (supposedly the 50MHz
version will ship in 1990). Certainly the 486 seems a lot more developed
in terms of available machines which use it.

  Does the 040 have the FPU built in? I'm told the memory manager is
there, but I have heard nothing reliable on the 040. And the leaked
performance figures have all been at 33 or 40MHz, so they are not only
possibly inaccurate, but need to be scaled somehow, too.

  I doubt that either chip will push the other off the market, and I
would bet that the 486 will sell a lot more units because of the demand
for fast DOS machines. This will bring down the cost of manufacture,
although I wouldn't bet on either Intel or Motorola dropping prices a lot.

  Note I haven't said one was better than the other...
that the world is flat!" - anon

CHOOPER@acad.cut.oz (Todd Hooper) (12/19/89)

In article <18213@netnews.upenn.edu>, meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) writes:
> In article <14960@boulder.Colorado.EDU> kuo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (KUO ANDY Y) writes:
>
> lots of stuff deleted
>>
>>  It is a fact that NuBus, SCSI, AppleTalk, 68xxx chip is superior than
>>EISA/MCA, ESDI, nothing standard or build in, 80xxx(not include 80486).
>>
> Why not include the 80486.  From what I here, the 68040 is plenty
> faster.  I don't remember the specifics - as a matter of fact I don't
> think the specs are out but word is it's faster.

Talking of the 68040, does anyone have any technical specs on hand for it?

What's the deal with Motorola? Are they actually shipping 68040 chips
yet? I remember Intel had beaten them with the 486 chip coming out before
the 68040, but obviously Intel must have rushed it through, what with the
486 chip having bugs in it.....

More specific to Macs, how do people see the 68040 fitting into new models
of Macintoshes? Will we see one next year?

(More idle speculation to follow........)

--
Todd Hooper                                                Computing Centre
                                            Curtin University of Technology