[comp.sys.mac] Too Many files open?

jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu (J.J. Wasilko) (12/17/89)

I keep getting various error messages to the effect of 'Too Many Files
Open' often with the ID=-42.

I know what's causing the problem (Suitcase with many font/da/sound
files + Mutifinder with big applications running), but what I don't know
is how to modify the system to allow me to open more files (I'm getting
the error with only one file open in each application (3 or 4 user files
total, plus font/da/sound files).

Could soneone point me to he correct resource to modify to increase the
number of open files?

Thanks,

Jeff

Armadillo@cup.portal.com (Russ Armadillo Coffman) (12/19/89)

Jeff: The easiest way to solve this problem is within Suitcase itself.

Assuming you have Suitcase II (and the latest rev is 1.2.5, BTW), click the
Setting button, then Power User settings (or cmd-P will take you directly
there). There you can enter the maximum number of files you want open. The
change takes effect when you reboot. See the Suitcase II manual for details.

You could also use various utilities to edit the boot blocks, in which is
stored the max number of files that can be opened. SUM Tools will do this,
for one. -Russ

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (12/19/89)

In article <1775@ultb.isc.rit.edu>, jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu (J.J. Wasilko)
writes:
> I keep getting various error messages to the effect of 'Too Many Files
> Open' often with the ID=-42.
>
> I know what's causing the problem (Suitcase with many font/da/sound
> files + Mutifinder with big applications running), but what I don't know
> is how to modify the system to allow me to open more files...

If you're using Suitcase II, as opposed to the original Suitcase, increase
the maximum number of openable suitcase files in the Settings/Power User
Settings dialog.  This increases the total number of openable files.

Otherwise, you need to alter the boot blocks of your startup volume.  Fedit
Plus's Edit Boot Blocks command will do this easily, should you happen to
have that utility.  The number in the boot blocks is 1/4 of the number of
openable files.
--

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher)