[comp.sys.mac] New Virus Encyclopedia

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (12/13/89)

This is to announce a new version of Virus Encyclopedia.  I have updated
the stack to include the WDEF Virus and all those variants of nVIR that
have appeared since its last release.  Which release you have can be
determined by the date modified listed on the Disclaimer card.  This
latest release is dated 12/12/89.

I have just finished uploading VE to CompuServe, GEnie, several Chicago
BBSs, and HomeBase BBS in California.  I have also made arrangements
with John Norstad to get a copy to the info-mac archives and
comp.binaries.mac.  If you are unable to get the stack in any other way
(and please try!), I will accept requests accompanied by a disk or
$2.50 at:

		Henry C. Schmitt
		6613 Scott Lane - Apt. 17
		Hanover Park, IL 60103-3849

I'll send back a copy of the NorthWest of Us Virus Control disk which
includes VE, as well as the best of the virus control programs.

			Henry C. Schmitt
			Author of Virus Encyclopedia
--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
                       | GEnie: H.Schmitt  (Occasionally)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (12/16/89)

What exactly does the stack contain?  Descriptions?  Viral Algorithms?
Methods of propagation?  Copies of the viruses themselves?

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (12/19/89)

In article <8400199@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>What exactly does the stack contain?  Descriptions?  Viral Algorithms?
>Methods of propagation?  Copies of the viruses themselves?

See below, yes, yes, yes, and no!!

The Virus Encyclopedia contains all I know about the operation and
propagation of all *known* Mac Viruses.  It also contains a
description of all the Virus Control software I have gotten my hands
on and a few of which I have only gotten descriptions of.  I have
tried to make it useful to both novices and experts alike.

Throwing modesty to the winds, it contains a brain dump of Dr. Virus
(the nickname my users' group gave me) about Mac Viruses.  I've
gotten a large number of compliments on both the stack itself (from
the HyperCard viewpoint) as well as its contents.

I try to keep it up to date as possible but of course I have to do
it in my "copius" free time.  I highly recommend that you get your
hands on a copy if you have any questions about mac viruses.

			Henry C. Schmitt
			Author of Virus Encyclopedia

P.S. An update with the newest WDEF info will be out in the first
week of January.  Sorry but it has to wait until after my Carribean
Christmas vacation.