[comp.sys.mac] no copy application protection

a687@mindlink.UUCP (John N. Moore) (12/18/89)

I would like to have a student workstation with Mac11cX and hard drive that
allows all(or portion?) of applications to be used but does not allow any
programs to be copied. I know we can do this on a MacJanet type network but how
can I do this on a single machine? Any ideas appreciated.

John N. Moore     Mac/Amiga user        a687@Mindlink.uucp
Instructional Design, Electronic Publishing, Hypermedia
..transparent technology for learning and communication..
Vancouver, Canada   uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!JohnNMoore

ldg@yoda.byu.edu (12/19/89)

In <820@mindlink.UUCP>, John N. Moore (a687@mindlink.UUCP) writes:

>I would like to have a student workstation with Mac11cX and hard drive that
>allows all(or portion?) of applications to be used but does not allow any
>programs to be copied...

The method I saw being used here at BYU in one of the Mac labs was sort of
hokey, but it would discourage the non-hacker types. All the files they
wanted to protect from tampering (would also work for copying) were made
invisible and left in the root directory. The students were issued a dinky
program that could be used to launch these invisible applications.

Anybody with MPW, ResEdit, FEdit, etc., could quickly and easily
defeat this setup, but it slowed their problems down enough to make them
managable.

Lyle D. Gunderson  N6KSZ          CIS: 73760,2354     GEnie: L.GUNDERSON
zebolskyd@acoust.byu.edu          "Any technology without some attendant risk
350 CB / BYU / Provo, UT 84602   of misuse is probably trivial"  --Loise Kohl