[comp.sys.mac] MacSE + DeskJet -> USE JetLink Express!

fjo@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (frank.j.owen) (12/20/89)

From article <2911@cbnewsj.ATT.COM>, by mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick):
> In article <1367@uvm-gen.UUCP> cavrak@emily.uvm.edu (Steve Cavrak) writes:
>>
>> Just a short progress report on "How to Attach an HP-Deskjet to an SE."
>
>  [Lots of detailed stuff deleted]
>
>> d.  Install the public domain Deskjet Driver.  This driver is found in
>>     the Info-Mac archives.  (This involves downloading, unhexing,
>>     unstuffing, and then popping things in the system folder.)
>
> I'd suggest you spend $79 and buy the MacPrint driver. You'll get a MUCH
> better driver than the public domain driver AND it includes a cable
> for the DeskJet as well. I started out with the public domain driver

Another driver to mention is the "JetLink Express" from GDT Softworks.
This driver uses outline font technology (like the HP DeskWriter), so
you don't NEED ATM. (Although that's supposed to work with the driver
too.) You also don't need to fill up your system file with oversized
bitmap versions of these outline fonts!
  This driver is availible from MacConnection for $89 and also comes
with a cable. MacConnection has a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you
can try it and compare.
  The speed improvement compared with the public domain driver is
truly impressive. The outline fonts included are Times, Helvetica,
Courier and Symbol. (The names might be some varient of these copy-
writed names.) These are provided as "font families" i.e. you get
seperate italic and bold fonts. Other fonts (LaserWriter Plus
equivalent set) are availible, but in GDT's proprietary format, so it
might be better to get ATM if additional fonts are important to you.
(I don't know how much the extra fonts from GDT are.)
    For non-postcript output, results are very comparable with the
LaserWriters. Many of the LaserWriter driver options have been
implemented (scaling, inversion etc.).  Patterns and grey-scale are
handled correctly (unlike the PD driver), and internal and cartridge
fonts are used when printing in draft mode.
  There are some "glitches" with "poorly-behaved" mac software,
however, they are handled MUCH better than with the PD driver.

--
Frank Owen   708-982-2182
AT&T Bell Laboratories