[comp.sys.mac] How to network a Mac

bradley@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Eugene Bradley) (12/20/89)

To: galaxy.rutgers.edu!rutgers!usc!wuarchive!brutus.cs.uiuc.edu!rpi!ccnysci!arons
Subject: Re: Mac labs
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Bcc:

In article <3815@ccnysci.UUCP> you write:
>We (City College) is on the verge of a fairly massive purchase of
>microcomputers. These will include a number of labs of 25 or so Macs. Some of
>these will be special purpose labs in science, mathematics, remedial writing,
>etc. and some will be for general access by students for word processing, use of
>spreadsheets, etc. Some of the many issues are : type of Mac (Plus, SE ?),
>network configuration if any, how to handle software (i.e. off a server ?), how
>many printers,...

You might want to try NetWare by the Novell Education Grant Program.  I do
not have an address, but I can tell you that it is very good.  You also might
want to try to get an AppleShare file server (you may need a MacIIcx or higher
with a >=20 meg hard drive).

Once you do get a server, now comes the hard part:  software.  I recommend
Microsoft Excel 2.2 (for spreadsheets), Microsoft Word 4.0 (*very* good),
Macwrite 5.01/Macwrite II 1.1/MacPaint II/MacDraw II 1.1 (all good), and
Microsoft Works 2.00a or 2.00b (combines all of the above).

You might want to use 13 Mac+'es and 12 SE's (with half of those with FDHD
drives and the rest 800K drives [get the pluses with an external drive and
the SE's with 2 800K drives]).

As a good idea, you might want to buy a Mac IIx (Mac II w/ FDHD) to use as
a graphics workstation.  Put on it Aldus Freehand 2.0, PageMaker 3.02, Aldus
Persuasion 1.0, and the latest version of HyperCard.

Now for another hard part:  hooking all this to printers.  What I sugggest is
to get a LaserWriter IINTX w/ some AppleTalk connectors.  For this you might
talk with an Apple consultant.  If you feel the need, buy 2 NTX's.

Optional:  you might want to stop people from making copies of your program
files.  I suggest you have your administrator get a copy of either MacTools
7.1 or DiskTop 4.0.  If you want to keep your customers from making multiple
copies, use ResEdit and open LaserWriter.  Look at the DTIL section for
an ID=-8191 (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK--I AM UNSURE, BUT I THINK THAT'S HOW IT'S
DONE.)

Hope this helps.

bradley@andromeda.rutgers.edu

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< "May you never have to hear surf music again." >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
						-Jimi Hendrix