[comp.sys.mac] Enough Already!

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (12/19/89)

I don't know, maybe it is just me.  But would it be too much to ask to
get back to discussions which help the Mac and PC and NeXT and Amiga and
etc communities in these newsgroups and stop wasting so much bandwidth
on discussing lawsuits and the particular merits of a machine or OS or
interface.

It's just fine that everyone has a different and correct opinion on these
"religious" issues and it's just fine that lots of people hate Apple and
would love to see us get what we "deserve."

It's just not fine, IMHO, that we all waste so much bandwidth and time
arguing issues non of us are going to solve in this forum, so how about
getting back to solving some of the problems people out in the world are
having with these machines and operating systems.

If we have to moan and groan, why not do it on topics that some of us may
be able to do something about?  I'm sure simple issues like (hope I don't
lose my job for this one) what can be done to convince Apple to produce
on-line documentation, why isn't there a standard file format for styled
text and PICTs, what is taking System 7.0 so long, where is the rewritten
_Inside Mac_ that Apple promised developers two years ago, why is DTS
taking 7 days to answer my question right now, how could Apple ship the
IIci and not provide a way to make my CD-ROM player work with it yet and
what will Apple do to top the IIci and Portable announcements are sure to
spark some emotion out there.  I'm also sure there are lots of others
where discussion might lead to some answers and something that we can
all do to BENEFIT users (although I must admit venting is very beneficial
at times).

Like I said, maybe it's just me...

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) (12/20/89)

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:

>I don't know, maybe it is just me.  But would it be too much to ask to
>get back to discussions which help the Mac and PC and NeXT and Amiga and
>etc communities in these newsgroups and stop wasting so much bandwidth
>on discussing lawsuits and the particular merits of a machine or OS or
>interface.

I wonder if it is time to create a group along the lines of
"Talk.Apple.{Politics, Religion, ???}; a group to redirect all of the
Apple v. IBM, 68k is better than 80x86/no it isn't, Apple is Evil, et
cetera, ad nauseum, 'discussions' into.

I think that most of us agree that the newsgroup is too large, and
needs to be split... the question is: Where?

Anyway, this is not a formal proposal for a new group, just an idea
tossed out at random.

PS to Mark:

>If we have to moan and groan, why not do it on topics that some of us may
>be able to do something about?  I'm sure simple issues like [list deleted]

I don't suppose that you could answer some of your questions, could
you?  (No, I don't really expect answers)

+C

--
Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341
uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com

>I wonder if it is time to create a group along the lines of
>"Talk.Apple.{Politics, Religion, ???}; a group to redirect all of the
>Apple v. IBM, 68k is better than 80x86/no it isn't, Apple is Evil, et
>cetera, ad nauseum, 'discussions' into.

>I think that most of us agree that the newsgroup is too large, and
>needs to be split... the question is: Where?

How about gnu.politics.apple?

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

For herein may be seen noble chivalry, courtesy, humanity, friendliness,
cowardice, murder, hate, virtue and sin. Do after the good and leave the
evil, and it shall bring you to good fame and renown. -- Malory

dks@shumv1.uucp (D. K. Smith) (12/20/89)

In article <497@tci.bell-atl.com> kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) writes:
>mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>
>>I don't know, maybe it is just me.  But would it be too much to ask to
>>get back to discussions which help the Mac and PC and NeXT and Amiga and
>>etc communities in these newsgroups and stop wasting so much bandwidth
>>on discussing lawsuits and the particular merits of a machine or OS or
>>interface.

Good Point...

And may I add... if someone does have a particular affection for
a platform, etc... tell us why this is so.  We don't want to hear
"the ____ interface is shit" or "____ is for idiots... that's why
idoits use them" (I'm paraphrasing here since I cannot accurately
remember the actual elegant prose that was originally used.)

>I wonder if it is time to create a group...
>
>I think that most of us agree that the newsgroup is too large, and
>needs to be split...

A resounding YES.  There is too much to filter thru on this group if
one wants to also lead a productive life.

>Anyway, this is not a formal proposal for a new group....

Why Not?!?!?!

>Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341

dk smith                          |                          htims kd
-my opinions reflect my opinions. | .snoinipo ym tcelfer snoinipo ym-

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (12/20/89)

I agree.  Even for Usenet, this is getting pretty silly.  It's starting to
remind me of the scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where Arthur
fights the Black Knight...

	"I'm INVINCIBLE!"
	"You're a LOONY!"

Sigh.  Here's my suggestion for a new controversial Macintosh topic :-):
When Apple starts supporting Outline Fonts, will you be licensing the
same outlines as Adobe (from ITC, Allied Linotype, et al.), or will you,
in an orgy of avoiding paying fees to other people, "roll your own,"
thus making output from PostScript printers look different from Quickdraw
printers and thus negating a lot of the advantages of the new Print
Manager?

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation