[comp.sys.mac] ImageWriter I

jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart [Jonathan III]) (12/18/89)

I beleive I saw this query quite some time ago when it really didn't
matter to me much, but now again I bother you all with it. Can, feasibly,
a Mac Imagewriter I be placed onto an Appletalk Network chain, and if
so...how? And for that matter, if not...why? Thank you all...

							Ace
--
| Ace Stewart (Jonathan III)                             |A       /\       |
| Affiliation: Eastman Kodak Company. Rochester New York |      _/  \_     |

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (12/19/89)

In article <1571@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace
Stewart [Jonathan III]) writes:
> Can, feasibly,
> a Mac Imagewriter I be placed onto an Appletalk Network chain, and if
> so...how? And for that matter, if not...why?

I'm afraid it's impossible as the ImageWriter I has only a serial
interface.  To be on AppleTalk, a device has to have hardware and software
designed for that purpose.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (12/20/89)

In article <5826@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:
>In article <1571@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace
>Stewart [Jonathan III]) writes:
>> Can, feasibly,
>> a Mac Imagewriter I be placed onto an Appletalk Network chain, and if
>> so...how? And for that matter, if not...why?
>
>I'm afraid it's impossible as the ImageWriter I has only a serial
>interface.  To be on AppleTalk, a device has to have hardware and software
>designed for that purpose.

Impossible, no.  Infeasible, no.  Cost-effective, no :-).

There are two routes available, if you REALLY want to do this.  One is
MacServe from InfoSphere.  You run MacServe on a mac, and attach the IW I to
that Mac.  Other macs on the network can then access it.  MacServe is
list priced around $200, I think.

Two, Shiva sells a box called NetSerial (I believe) that lets you hook
any serial device up to an appletalk.  I don't know if this will make the
printer driver happy or not, but it will certainly put the printer on the
network in SOME fashion.  Ask Shiva for details.  The box probably costs
several hundred dollars.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (12/20/89)

To which <5826@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) replies:
>I'm afraid it's impossible as the ImageWriter I has only a serial
>interface.  To be on AppleTalk, a device has to have hardware and software
>designed for that purpose.

What David failed to codify in his "impossible" reply is that it is
impossible USING APPLE-SUPPLIED HARDWARE/SOFTWARE.  However, this should be
possible using the Shiva NetSerial (from what I've read about it -- I've
never even SEEN a real live one).

For a company that expects third-party developers to provide most of what the
user community wants (and sometimes appears to use that statement as a way to
get out of explaining why they don't provide it), they sure don't do much to
promote those third-party developers......

M. A. Pasek          Switching Software Development         NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668        CNG-er-PU4-er-NPM Development       2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (12/20/89)

In article <1790@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM
(Michael A. Pasek) writes:

[I wrote]
> >I'm afraid it's impossible as the ImageWriter I has only a serial
> >interface.  To be on AppleTalk, a device has to have hardware and
> >software designed for that purpose.

> What David failed to codify in his "impossible" reply is that it is
> impossible USING APPLE-SUPPLIED HARDWARE/SOFTWARE.  However, this should
> be possible using the Shiva NetSerial (from what I've read about it
> -- I've never even SEEN a real live one).

Well, sure.  I kinda thought the original poster was asking whether it
could be done with just the equipment he mentioned, an ImageWriter I and
an AppleTalk net.  Sorry if I misunderstood.

> For a company that expects third-party developers to provide most of
> what the user community wants (and sometimes appears to use that
> statement as a way to get out of explaining why they don't provide it),
> they sure don't do much to promote those third-party developers......

I decline to have all this shit hung on me.  I'm a programmer doing some
research, who previously worked on printing, and I try to give people a
few facts when they need them.  My job doesn't include deciding what
should be developed by third parties or what should be developed by Apple.
 But since you brought it up, would you rather have Apple build a device
to connect the (discontinued for years) ImageWriter I to a network, thus
wiping out third parties who supply such things, or would you rather Apple
"promoted" those third parties?  From your post, you seem to want both.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

Bill_W_Michling@cup.portal.com (12/20/89)

In article <1571@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace
Stewart [Jonathan III]) writes:
> Can, feasibly,
> a Mac Imagewriter I be placed onto an Appletalk Network chain, and if
> so...how? And for that matter, if not...why?

You might want to checkout the NetSerial from Siva. It is a serial
Appletalk device that lets you share serial devices on an Appletalk network.

I have not used one but am considering it.....

Hope this is of help.

Bill Michling
ME-BBS Sysop