[comp.sys.mac] Mac 512 still somewhat viable?

powers@jade.wbst128.xerox.com (Mike Powers (temp)) (12/11/89)

Hi all....

	A friend of mine has a Mac 512 sitting around collecting dust. I
have been hunting around for a cheapo Mac to do some writing. I keep
fairly well informed through the Mac rags, some Apple friends, and reading
here but I'm still a bit fuzzy on what I can 'eke out of a 512 these days.
	A Plus upgrade is out since it brings the prices up to what I can
get a new Plus for (gotta love that Apple upgrade plan :). Barring that,
what can/cannot be done?

	o Memory upgrades?
	o What is the most recent system it can handle?
	o Will the latest in MacWrite, MacDraw, etc work?
	o How about printers, does it deal with the IW II?
	o anything else I should ponder?

Thanks

Mike Powers

note: try powers.roch803@xerox.com if the above address fails

ostroff@penelope.oswego.edu (Boyd Ostroff) (12/13/89)

In article <274@spot.wbst128.xerox.com> powers@jade.UUCP (Mike Powers) writes:

>	A friend of mine has a Mac 512 sitting around collecting dust. I
>have been hunting around for a cheapo Mac to do some writing.
:
:
>what can/cannot be done?
>
>	o What is the most recent system it can handle?

System 3.2 / Finder 5.3.  When used with the "Hard Disk 20" program supplied
with that release, you will have (buggy) RAM-based HFS, which will allow you
to hook up an external 800K drive or (old) Hard Disk 20.

>	o Will the latest in MacWrite, MacDraw, etc work?

MacDraw II needs a least 1 MB of memory, (and I suspect the new ROMS also).
Older versions of MacDraw will work.  According the the manual "MacWrite 5.0
works on any Macintosh except the 128K".  Don't know about MacWrite II...

>	o How about printers, does it deal with the IW II?

It should, with the appropriate version of the driver...

>	o anything else I should ponder?

The upgrade to a 512KE used to be about $300, and maybe worth it for you,
since you would get more compatibility (128K ROMs, 800K internal drive).

Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director ||||||| System Administrator, "The CallBoard"
Theatre Department, SUNY Oswego  ||||||| Serving the performing arts since 1986
        (315) 341-2987           ||||||| (315) 947-6414  300/1200/2400 baud 8N1
ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU     ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!gizzmo!cboard!ostroff

straka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (richard.j.straka) (12/20/89)

In article <1989Dec12.182313.15424@oswego.Oswego.EDU> ostroff@penelope.oswego.edu (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
>In article <274@spot.wbst128.xerox.com> powers@jade.UUCP (Mike Powers) writes:
>>
>>	A friend of mine has a Mac 512 sitting around collecting dust. I
>>have been hunting around for a cheapo Mac to do some writing.
	  (about how to make good use of a 512K Mac)

>The upgrade to a 512KE used to be about $300, and maybe worth it for you,
>since you would get more compatibility (128K ROMs, 800K internal drive).

I have one of the original Macs (5-1/2 years old), and have converted it from:

1) 128K to 512K using the "Dr. Dobbs article".  A lot of chip cutting and a
   little bit of "white wire".
2) from 512K to 512KE using the Apple Disk/ROM upgrade (~$250)
3) from 512KE to 1024KE using piggybacked (soldered) RAM chips and a little
   bit more white wire.  This is not as scary as it might seem.
4) 1024KE to 1024KE+SCSI (Effectively a Mac Plus that can't go beyond 1MB)
   using a SuperMac SCSI board (Dove would do the job, too) for ~$80.

It's been running like a champ ever since, although I could use more memory,
a faster processor, a bigger screen, ... ... ...  But it fit my budget!

MacEnvy thinks that it is a real Mac Plus with one exception: the old clock
chip, which is no real problem anyway.

To go from 512K to 1024KE+SCSI, you need ~$350-400, and some hardware hacking.
(not without risk (and certainly not for the faint of heart), but the mods
are pretty easily reversible)

I can supply a MacPaint file with the schematic, plus a text file with some
hints and caveats.  I received these ideas from a fellow netter, Mike Ching,
of AMD quite a while ago (~2 years).

If I get enough requests (I doubt it), I'll consider posting the files.

HAPPY (hardware) HACKING!!!
--
Rich Straka     att!ihlpf!straka

MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane syntax of UNIX(R), but without the power.