[comp.sys.mac] Mac labs

arons@ccnysci.UUCP (Michael Arons) (12/16/89)

We (City College) is on the verge of a fairly massive purchase of
microcomputers. These will include a number of labs of 25 or so Macs. Some of
these will be special purpose labs in science, mathematics, remedial writing,
etc. and some will be for general access by students for word processing, use of
spreadsheets, etc. Some of the many issues are : type of Mac (Plus, SE ?),
network configuration if any, how to handle software (i.e. off a server ?), how
many printers,...

It would be very helpful to be able to hear how some places
have done this. E-mail would be great. I'd love to have some names of folks to
call to pursue some of the detailed issues. I would be glad to post a summary to
the net at the end of the process. Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael Arons                     arons@sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Division of Science               arons@ccnysci.uucp
City College of New York

jb@aries5.uucp (James Bruyn) (12/20/89)

In article <3815@ccnysci.UUCP> arons@ccnysci.UUCP (Michael Arons) writes:
>We (City College) is on the verge of a fairly massive purchase of
>microcomputers. These will include a number of labs of 25 or so Macs.

Be sure to also consider MacJANET.  MacJANET has a number of very
useful features, including limitting the number of people who can
concurrently run an application, preventing applications copied from the
network to run locally, the need for one copy of an application to be
stored on the network (even for non-shareable applications), integrated
print spooling.

Contact Mike Paola at WATCOM Products (519)-886-3700 for further information.

Jim Bruyn

Disclaimer:  MacJANET was developed at the University of Waterloo