[comp.sys.mac] Strategic Conquest

ins_apw@jhunix (Philip Wong) (12/02/89)

Anyone have any hints, tips, ideas about Strategic Conquest?  I play at level
1 all the time and get my but kicked.  Hate to imagine what would happen at
level 2 or 50.  How is it possible to beat that game...I swear the computer must cheat or something.  I am playing it on a mac se w/16 MHz accelerator (68020).

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU

slart@pawl.rpi.edu (David Bolling) (12/03/89)

ins_apw@jhunix (Philip Wong) writes:

>Anyone have any hints, tips, ideas about Strategic Conquest?  I play at level
>1 all the time and get my but kicked.  Hate to imagine what would happen at
>level 2 or 50.  How is it possible to beat that game...I swear the computer must cheat or something.  I am playing it on a mac se w/16 MHz accelerator (68020).

An info dialog somewhere in the game says something to the effect of:
     "Copied game disks play with unbeatable skill."
I suggest you send your master disk back for a replacement.

David_Bolling@mts.rpi.edu

res-nova-software@cup.portal.com (Greg Paul Herlihy) (12/03/89)

res-nova-software@cup.portal.com (Greg Paul Herlihy) (12/03/89)

>Anyone have any hints, tips, ideas about Strategic Conquest?  I play at level
>1 all the time and get my but kicked.  Hate to imagine what would happen at
>level 2 or 50.  How is it possible to beat that game...I swear the computer mu
>t cheat or something.  I am playing it on a mac se w/16 MHz accelerator (68020
)

if you're getting your butt kicked at level 1, your playing from a copy
of the original. Invicinbility is the copy-protection scheme on the original
Strategic Conquest.

Solution: play from the original diskette or upgrade to SC 2.0 which
is not copy-protected.

Greg Herlihy
Res Nova Software, Inc.

peltz@cerl.uiuc.edu (Steve Peltz) (12/05/89)

I had the same problem with Strategic Conquest beating me at Level 1, and
decided that it couldn't handle being run on a Mac+ with the DS drive. I
was really pissed off at that method of copy protection, since all it does
is make people think the game is stupid, since they have no idea if it is
the copy protection kicking in or not. Now that I'm thinking of it, I think
I'll go find my disk and patch around the copy protection, if I can find it.
--
Steve Peltz (almost) CFI-G
"Monticello traffic, Glider 949 landing 18, full stop"

herrera@polya.Stanford.EDU (Charles S. Herrera) (12/06/89)

I had many hours of enjoyment in Strategic Conquest running on a Mac Plus
(and a 512, and a SE, etc.) with no problems.  However, if you play from
a copy, the game plays at a 'impossible' level making it not much fun.

If you have a legal copy of the game and this happens, I'd ask to get
your diskette replaced.

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North) (12/08/89)

I don't have the latest version of Strat Conquest...does anyone have a phone
number or an address of PBI software?  They moved twice since I bought it.

-chris

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (12/09/89)

In article <12936@polya.Stanford.EDU> herrera@polya.Stanford.EDU (Charles S. Herrera) writes:
>I had many hours of enjoyment in Strategic Conquest running on a Mac Plus
>(and a 512, and a SE, etc.) with no problems.  However, if you play from
>a copy, the game plays at a 'impossible' level making it not much fun.

QUick correction: Strategic Conquest Plus 2.0 is non-copy protected, runs
under Multi-Finder and uses color.  A very entertaining, addictive game.

                           "If you achieve success, you will get applause.
                            Enjoy it -- but never quite believe it."
                                           -- Robert Montgomery
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla, uiucuxc}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) (12/11/89)

Strategic Conquest Plus 2.0 is now available, and it _not_ copy-protected.
It is also licensed by a different company.  The correct address is:

                    Premier Technology, Inc.
                    P.O. Box 11138
                    San Francisco, CA  94101
                        (415) 882-7766

Now, something you should watch out for is the version number.  I bought my
copy from MacConnection, and it shipped as version 2.05, according to the
Finder info.  There were some cosmetic bugs in the program at that point, and
it seemed to have some difficulty running under certain circumstances.  I
wrote a bug report to Premier Technology Inc., and they sent me a disk which
contained Strategic Conquest 2.055.  (Note the additional digit).

Something to look out for:  the AppleTalk protocols have evidently been changed
between versions.  As I recall, if one player was using 2.05 and the other was
using 2.055, then both machines would hang.  The problem was solved by updating
to 2.055 for both people.

I seem to recall also that the file handling is a little messed up (I'll have
to double-check this).  If you put the saved game on a different volume from
the program, or perhaps even just in a different directory tree, then the
program dies.  As I said, this is just conjecture; it may not be true, or it
may have been fixed in 2.055.

The cosmetic bug that I wrote them about was not fixed in 2.055, but may well
be fixed in any subsequent versions.  I don't know.

Review:  I find Strategic Conquest to be a very dangerous game, in that I tend
to play it rather than doing Important Stuff like term papers.  It's a strongly
addictive game (if you're into strategic war-gaming), and is quite fun.  I have
no connection with Premier Technology Inc. or with PBI Software Inc., other
than as a satisfied customer.

Oh yeah:  the 2.x versions play slightly differently against the computer than
the 1.x versions did.  It's just a little difference in style, mostly.

-------
Christopher Tate                           | Vengeance (noun):
                                           |  Eye for eye, tooth for tooth;
  Bitnet: cxt105@psuvm                     |  a fair, satisfying, and rapid
  Uucp:   ...!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105  |  way to a sightless, toothless
  Internet: cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu           |  world.

carr@Apple.COM (Randy Carr) (12/21/89)

In article <4170@cayman.COM> chris@cayman.COM (Chris North) writes:
>I don't have the latest version of Strat Conquest...does anyone have a phone
>number or an address of PBI software?  They moved twice since I bought it.
>
>-chris

Strategic Conquest current release is version 2.0 and is NOT copy-protected.

PBI rolled over rights to ST to a company called Premier Technology.

Premier Technology
P.O. Box 11138
San Francisco, CA 94101
(415) 882-7766

Premier also is publishing NetTrek - The Real Version.  How do I know? I
wrote NetTrek, and did the quick revision to Strategic Conquest 2.0.

Randy Carr                                                      System Software
Domain: carr@apple.com                                     Apple Computer, Inc.
UUCP:   {nsc,dual,sun,voder}!apple!carr             20525 Mariani Ave. M/S 27-O
AppleLink: CARR2                                            Cupertino, CA 95014

Opinions & Responses are my own and do NOT represent my employer...

P.S. ST 2.0 does not 'cheat' anymore.