[comp.sys.mac] LaserWriter IINTX memory???

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (12/19/89)

I assumed that NTX memory upgrading was done in a logical fashion, but I guess
not.  Exactly how is it done and what are all of the possible memory
configurations?  Can one use the same SIMMs at in the actual Mac itself.  The
manual doesn't tell me crap (as usual).

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | My opinions are exactly that,
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | it, but he could rent it.  :)
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

john@trigraph.uucp (John Chew) (12/21/89)

In <930@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>I assumed that NTX memory upgrading was done in a logical fashion, but I guess
>not.  Exactly how is it done and what are all of the possible memory
>configurations?  Can one use the same SIMMs at in the actual Mac itself.  The
>manual doesn't tell me crap (as usual).

According to the manual (Apple Service Technical Procedures - Laser
Printers - Volume Two):

1. You must use 256K or 1M SIMMs rated at at least 120 ns, and they must
   be SIMMs designed for use with the NTX.  These are not the same as
   Macintosh SIMMs.  (I believe they are longer.)

2. There are three banks of four SIMMs each.  As usual, all four SIMMs
   in a bank must be of the same type, and if you are not using all
   three banks, the empty banks should be nearest the connector edge.

3. Possible bank contents and consequent total memory sizes are:

   2 = 1 + 1 + 0 (as shipped)
   3 = 1 + 1 + 1
   4 = 4 + 0 + 0
   5 = 4 + 1 + 0
   8 = 4 + 4 + 0
   9 = 4 + 4 + 1
  12 = 4 + 4 + 4

I have a box of 1-megabyte NTX SIMMs that just arrived today from
Technology Works of Austin TX (+1 512 794 8533), purchased at
US$135 each plus shipping.  I'm sure you can also get them elsewhere.

(I have no connection with Technology Works other than that of being
 a satisfied customer.)

John
--
john j. chew, iii   		  phone: +1 416 425 3818     AppleLink: CDA0329
trigraph, inc., toronto, canada   {uunet!utai!utcsri,utgpu,utzoo}!trigraph!john