[comp.sys.mac] Gatekeeper Aid 1.0

chrisj@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) (12/15/89)

Gatekeeper Aid 1.0 of 13-Dec-89
by Chris Johnson (c) 1989

Gatekeeper Aid is a supplement to version 1.1.1 of the Gatekeeper
Anti-Virus System.  Gatekeeper Aid is a new component designed to
locate and remove the WDEF viruses that have recently appeared
and which are not hindered by Gatekeeper's existing security
system.  Gatekeeper Aid also checks for possible future variants
of WDEF.

Gatekeeper Aid automatically checks files as they are used for
the presence of specific viruses and, if viruses are found, it
removes them.  Like Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Aid runs continuously
without the attention (and usually without the awareness) of the
user.

Unlike Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Aid requires no configuration by
the user -- it's objectives are specific enough that there's
simply no need for configuration at this point.

Although Gatekeeper Aid is designed to supplement Gatekeeper,
it does not require that Gatekeeper be present in order to
operate.

Gatekeeper Aid has been posted to comp.binaries.mac, and is
immediately available for anonymous ftp from ix1.cc.texas.edu
and ix2.cc.utexas.edu.  You'll find it (and Disinfectant 1.5)
in the ~microlib/mac/virus directory.

The IP addresses of ix1 and ix2 are, respectively, 128.83.1.21
and 128.83.1.29.

Gatekeeper Aid will should be available from sumex and simtel
in the near future.

Cheers,
----Chris Johnson
----Author of Gatekeeper
----chrisj@emx.utexas.edu

mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) (12/16/89)

	Running on a Mac II or an SE/30, with System 6.03 and Multifinder,
	while in Excel 2.2, if one does a print setup or a print, the Mac
	will hang/crash. Removing the Aid INIT resolves this. I have also
	seen "can't load Finder" messages on the SE/30 with stock Aid INIT,
	and with it renamed to load as the last INIT. I hope this can be
	resolved.

cohen@sunybcs.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Alexander Cohen) (12/19/89)

In article <21800@usc.edu> mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) writes:

>	Running on a Mac II or an SE/30, with System 6.03 and Multifinder,
>	while in Excel 2.2, if one does a print setup or a print, the Mac
>	will hang/crash. Removing the Aid INIT resolves this. I have also
>	seen "can't load Finder" messages on the SE/30 with stock Aid INIT,
>	and with it renamed to load as the last INIT. I hope this can be
>	resolved.

	I seem to have found another problem with Gatekeeper Aid 1.0:

	My macIIx will hang before it reaches the desktop if I am
using the DeskTop Manager from Apple. (Appleshare Server init).

	I removed all the other inits I had and the only one that gave
it trouble was the DeskTop Manager.  Here is my configuration:

	MacIIx with 4meg Ram, 80meg Quantum HD (I excersize it regularly :-) )
	using system 6.0.4 and DeskTop Manager init.

	Meanwhile I'll stick to checking my HD regularly with
Disinfectant 1.5 (Thanks to the Author!)

	Alex Cohen

	cohen@cs.buffalo.edu
	cohen@sunybcs.bitnet

userDBUG@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Dan Berry) (12/21/89)

In article <14963@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, cohen@sunybcs.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Alexander Cohen) writes:
>In article <21800@usc.edu> mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) writes:
>>
>>       Running on a Mac II or an SE/30, with System 6.03 and Multifinder,
>>       while in Excel 2.2, if one does a print setup or a print, the Mac
>>       will hang/crash. Removing the Aid INIT resolves this. I have also

Hmmmm.  I've also had this, but in Microsoft Word v4.0.  Is MicroSoft going
and making their own WDEF's, instead of the system's, and causing all the
headaches?

>        I seem to have found another problem with Gatekeeper Aid 1.0:
>
>        My macIIx will hang before it reaches the desktop if I am
>using the DeskTop Manager from Apple. (Appleshare Server init).
>
>        I removed all the other inits I had and the only one that gave
>it trouble was the DeskTop Manager.  [configuration omitted]

Here's a few more!  "Aask!" (v1.0 :-o ) and a public-domain version
of the same-sort... "INIT CDEV" (v2.0) by John Rotenstein.

By the by, I'm using an SE/30 loaded with 5 Megs. of memory and a
whole (ahem)load of other inits.  However, these two are the only
INITs that I seem to be having problems with... with the exception
of (apparently) a few M.Soft applications.

INIT CDEV simply does the not-so-nice thing of causing a System
Error [ID = 2] when I hold the mouse button down on booting up.

When I use Aask! and do a hold-mouse-on-boot, I get a pleasant
message from GateKeeper Aid saying "Sorry, a miscellaneous error
occured in the Gatekeeper Aid demon.  LoadResource() failed.
[ID = -108]"

Yeesh!  What's the world coming to when you have to use demons
to eradicate a virus?  :-)
_______
Dan Berry, Univ. of Alberta Computing Systems (Network & DataComm.)
* Correspondence: dan_Berry@mts.ucs.ualberta.ca (inet)
*   ...ONLY...    userdbug@ualtamts.bitnet
* FILES/STUFFITs: ualtasun!dan@ALBERTA
* Ink/paper mail: U.of A., Rm. 120 G.S.B., Edmonton, Canada, T6G 2H1