[comp.sys.mac] Printing to a File

flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU (12/01/87)

I have an application that prints reports to a printer, but won't put
the reports into a file.  I'd like to file them instead for later
browsing and printing only occasionally.  How can I cause the printed
report to be captured into a file instead?

thanks, sorry if this has been answered before,
Margot Flowers   Flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU   ...!{ucbvax|ihnp4}!ucla-cs!flowers

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (12/01/87)

Use a product called GLUE!

earleh@dartvax.UUCP (Earle R. Horton) (12/11/87)

In article <2564@cbdkc1.ATT.COM>, joe@cbdkc1.ATT.COM (Here comes the ...) writes:

> >Use a product called GLUE!
>
> What is Glue? What does it do?

Glue is a product that traps printing calls, and places the image that a
program is trying to print in a file that can be cut and pasted into other
programs.  I don't think it can do just text, which may be what some users
want.

It is fairly easy to write a printer driver which will trap text that is
printed, and place it in a file if this is desired.  The November and
December, 1987 issues of MacTutor contain an extremely-well-written
article (by me) showing how to print text from within an application to
the serial port.  In order to save the text in a file, just write the
output to the file, instead of ".AOut" or whatever.

*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU (12/11/87)

In article <2564@cbdkc1.ATT.COM> joe@cbdkc1.UUCP (Joseph T. Judge) writes:

>>Use a product called GLUE!
>
>What is Glue? What does it do?
>I have seen some minimal discussion about this a little while ago.
>Was confused.

I asked the original question (how to capture printed reports in a
file instead), so thought I'd followup.  Every reply I got (thanks)
suggested Glue, so apparently it is the only product capable of this
that people know of.

Glue provides two items: ImageSaver, which shows up as an output
device under chooser, and Viewer, a program which can view, and make
cuts out of, the result.  It is very simple to use: simply select
imagesaver under chooser, and the output goes there instead of the
printer.  It is advertised for "imagesharing", but in my case it is
useful in a few ways:

	- capturing output from programs that insist on producing a
	report only on the printer

	- spooling output to be printed later when I'm at home without
	a printer

	- previewing output before actually printing it

However, it is not quite what I wanted.  The reports the application
tries to print are saved as images, I'd like them to be text that I
can cut and paste into a text editor document.  (Yeah, I know the real
problem is the obstinate application which refuses to put reports into
files).  Also, I haven't fully tested this yet, but the application
seems to decide that ImageSaver isn't capable of graphics on bar
charts and so constructs the bars out of letters (or perhaps this is
viewer's interpretation of the thing).

In addition, Viewer runs as an application.  Since I don't have enough
memory to run everything under multifinder yet, I need to quit the
application to run Viewer to check the output.  It would be nice if
Viewer were provided as a DA instead of an application.  Does anyone
know of a DA which will view and maybe even cut PICT resources?

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (12/15/87)

In article <7732@dartvax.UUCP> earleh@dartvax.UUCP (Earle R. Horton) types:
>> What is Glue? What does it do?
>
>Glue is a product that traps printing calls, and places the image that a
>program is trying to print in a file that can be cut and pasted into other
>programs.  I don't think it can do just text, which may be what some users
>want.

There is a newer version of Glue, called SuperGlue, that has the ability to
extract text from Glue documents. You use Glue instead of SuperGlue (Solutions
is continuing to sell both products). SuperGlue also has some features for
manipulating fonts (it can tell you what fonts are used in your document, and
globally substitute Times 12 for New York 12, for example). I saw SuperGlue
advertised for $54 or so from some mail-order firm in the January MacUser.

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104

hulse@iris.ucdavis.edu (C. Andy Hulse) (12/22/89)

This has probably been covered somewhere, but I've been watching for a while
and I haven't seen anything...

Is there a way to make a disk file 'look like' a laserwriter?  I would like
to generate postscript files, which I could then transfer onto the net
here, if possible...

Is there a printer driver out there that can do this?  If not, how hard
would it be for a *slightly* experienced programmer to write one?

Thanks in advance,

--Andy Hulse

 All opinions are my own.

  hulse@iris.ucdavis.edu