[comp.sys.mac] Networking 2 Macs cheaply: How do I?

slart@pawl.rpi.edu (David Bolling) (12/19/89)

My roommate and I each have Mac II's.  They are 50 feet apart from each
other in the same apartment.  What are the various ways we can network
them together?  Our objectives are:
      1) be able to play network games like Strategic Conquest
         and NetTrek.
      2) file sharing on an external SCSI hard disk.
      3) share my LaserWriter IISC (if possible).
Thanks in advance for all suggestions and replies.

David_Bolling@mts.rpi.edu

puklich@plains.UUCP (Blayne Puklich) (12/20/89)

In article <|^'XC@rpi.edu> slart@pawl.rpi.edu (David Bolling) writes:
>My roommate and I each have Mac II's.  They are 50 feet apart from each
>other in the same apartment.  What are the various ways we can network
>them together?  Our objectives are:
>      1) be able to play network games like Strategic Conquest
>         and NetTrek.
>      2) file sharing on an external SCSI hard disk.
>      3) share my LaserWriter IISC (if possible).

To play games, I'm almost sure all is necessary is the LocalTalk connection
between the machines.  But to do the file sharing and LW sharing, you'll
need something like the following.  This is pretty inexpensive compared to
other alternatives.

Probably the best software to use for this small of a network is Tops by Sun
MicroSystems.  For two machines this is much less expensive than AppleShare,
around $137 for each machine (last time I bought copies).  You'll need also
three LocalTalk or equivalent network connectors.  For your use something
that uses phone cabling would be least expensive, so a connector such as
PhoneNet or ModuNet (is this still available?) would suffice.  Each of these
runs around $35, so what you have so far is roughly $370 plus phone cabling.

You connect them using a bus topology like:

  Mac        Mac        LW
   ^----------^----------^

That's all you'll really need.  You could add more software, such as laser
spooling software, but that's not absolutely necessary.

||+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++||
|| Blayne Puklich      puklich@Plains.NoDak.EDU      "I think I'm going    ||
|| NDSU ACM Vice-Chair nopuklic@Vaxosaur.NoDak.EDU      bald..."           ||
|| NDSU, Fargo, ND     This space intentionally left  -- Rush, from Caress ||
|| (701) 237-4408                blank.                  of Steel, 1975    ||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------||

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (12/20/89)

In article <3016@plains.UUCP> puklich@plains.UUCP (Blayne Puklich) writes:
>In article <|^'XC@rpi.edu> slart@pawl.rpi.edu (David Bolling) writes:
>>My roommate and I each have Mac II's.  They are 50 feet apart from each
>>other in the same apartment.  What are the various ways we can network
>>them together?  Our objectives are:

deleted objectives...

>>      3) share my LaserWriter IISC (if possible).

>You connect them using a bus topology like:
>
>  Mac        Mac        LW
>   ^----------^----------^
>
>That's all you'll really need.  You could add more software, such as laser
>spooling software, but that's not absolutely necessary.

  The LaserWriter IISC does not have a provision for connecting it to an
appletalk network, or so I thought.  There might be some sort of printing
software which one could use to print on a LW IISC connected to another
machine...  a real hacked-up way would be to use an A/B switch made for SCSI
and connect BOTH machines.
  But then you'd have to do your own bus arbitration.

-- Mark Wilkins

schaerer@unizh.UUCP (schaerer) (12/22/89)

> > My roommate and I each have Mac II's.  They are 50 feet apart from each
> > other in the same apartment.  What are the various ways we can network
> > them together?  Our objectives are:
> >       3) share my LaserWriter IISC (if possible).
> You connect them using a bus topology like:
>
>   Mac        Mac        LW
>    ^----------^----------^

The LaserWriter IISC connects through the SCSI port and can't be networked.

(Let me speculate: Not yet? A printer server software similar to LaserShare,
but driving a dumb printer? Apple is probably working on a PostScript clone,
and putting it into a Mac might be as sensible as putting it into the ROMs of
a printer.)

Daniel Schaerer, University of Zurich/Switzerland
schaerer@ifi.unizh.ch

puklich@plains.UUCP (Blayne Puklich) (12/22/89)

In article <314@unizh.UUCP> schaerer@gorgo.UUCP (Daniel Schaerer) writes:
>> > My roommate and I each have Mac II's.  They are 50 feet apart from each
>> > other in the same apartment.  What are the various ways we can network
>> > them together?  Our objectives are:
>> >       3) share my LaserWriter IISC (if possible).
>> You connect them using a bus topology like:
>>
>>   Mac        Mac        LW
>
>The LaserWriter IISC connects through the SCSI port and can't be networked.

You're absolutely right.  I wasn't paying attention to that part!  Sorry,
guys.  It should be possible, however, to still share the SC using software.
I can't remember any offhand, but I'm sure that if the SC was hung off
the modem port it could be shared.  Of course, the other alternative is to
move the file to the Mac with the SC, and print it from there.  But that's
too ugly!