[comp.sys.mac] Word 4.0 superscript/linespacing question

tejtemw@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk (EARL WILLIAMS) (12/21/89)

I am trying to use superscripts in single-spaced text while maintaining
even vertical line-spacing.  Since characters have a certain height,
superscripting them causes Word to believe that the whole line is taller;
it therefore puts more vertical whitespace between that line and the one
before it than there is between lines of regular single-spaced text.

Any way around this?  Thanks for any help....
--
Earl M. Williams            ?8^)    "No matter where you go, there you are."
Inst. of Education, U. of London                            -Buckaroo Banzai

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (12/21/89)

In article <1989Dec20.235450.13036@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk> tejtemw@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk (EARL WILLIAMS) writes:
>I am trying to use superscripts in single-spaced text while maintaining
>even vertical line-spacing.  Since characters have a certain height,
>superscripting them causes Word to believe that the whole line is taller;
>it therefore puts more vertical whitespace between that line and the one
>before it than there is between lines of regular single-spaced text.
>Earl M. Williams            ?8^)    "No matter where you go, there you are."
   This drives me nuts in all the word processors. Unfortunately none of
the Mac programs I'm familar with handle this properly when the
'automatic' leading is selected.
   The solution with Word is to select the Paragraph Format menu item.
Under line spacing it should say AUTO. To set it to a uniform spacing
type in -Npt where 'N' is the amount of leading you want. The minus
sign is absolutely necessary. This works in Word 4.0, I don't know
about previous versions. I find this uncomfortable since any change
in font size means you have to go in and change this. It seems to do
the job however.
David Gelphman
Adobe Systems Incorporated

gdavis@primate.wisc.edu (Gary Davis) (12/21/89)

From article <1545@adobe.UUCP>, by gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman):
> In article <1989Dec20.235450.13036@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk> tejtemw@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk (EARL WILLIAMS) writes:
>>I am trying to use superscripts in single-spaced text while maintaining
>>even vertical line-spacing.  Since characters have a certain height,
>>superscripting them causes Word to believe that the whole line is taller;
>>it therefore puts more vertical whitespace between that line and the one
>>before it than there is between lines of regular single-spaced text.
>>Earl M. Williams            ?8^)    "No matter where you go, there you are."
>    This drives me nuts in all the word processors. Unfortunately none of
> the Mac programs I'm familar with handle this properly when the
> 'automatic' leading is selected.
> David Gelphman
> Adobe Systems Incorporated

Nisus handles this properly, even with a second level of super- or
subscripting.

Gary Davis

arons@ccnysci.UUCP (Michael Arons) (12/21/89)

Use a negative line spacing in the paragraph setup, e.g. -18 pts.
I forces 18 pt spacing no matter what.

Michael Arons                     arons@sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Division of Science               arons@ccnysci.uucp
City College of New York

rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (12/22/89)

>I am trying to use superscripts in single-spaced text while maintaining
>even vertical line-spacing.  Since characters have a certain height,
[..text deleted.  Refers to MS Word]
Simple.  If you call up the Paragraph format dialog box, and specify
the line spacing as, say -12pt, then you will get 12 pt fixed
spacing no matter what , even if it overlaps other lines . (it may
not look right on the screen, though).  Simple and intuitive, what?
Did i hear somebody say MS Word is not a real Mac program?