[comp.sys.mac] BinHex 4.0, Stuffit Deluxe

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez) (12/22/89)

In article <25350@ubvax.UB.Com> fred@ubvax.ub.com.UUCP (Fredrik Noon) writes:
>In practice I assume most folks are not using BinHex at all, but rather
>doing everything with Stuffit (which, since it can "do it all" -- almost --
>is a reasonable stategey).  [BTW: I only have BinHex 5.0 myself.]

also, Stuffit will delete any text above the BinHex code such as mail headers
whereas with BinHex 4.0, you would have to manually remove it yourself with
a text editor... as for unpacking (PackIt), Stuffit is considerably faster
at this than PackIt is.

>I hope that shareware Stuffit is still available: Lau went "commercial"
>a short time ago and there is a commertial product hitting the streets
>which, I guess, does more things for more $$$.  Stuffit's all I need.
>[I paid my shareware fee for version 1.5.1 plus $2 for the next release
>to be sent to me.  As it was never sent I assume that it never appeared.
>Do I get my $2 back or do they send me the new product, I wonder?]

The commercial version titled Stuffit Deluxe, which I haven't seen yet,
has virus detection during decompression (to check if the compressed(stuffed)
file has viruses).  Virus detection programs can't check inside an archive.
He also is supposed to have better compression for sound and graphic files,
new DES encryption methods, and a easier/friendlier user interface.
He is supposed to continue updating the shareware version I believe and
their will be an upgrade offered to registered users...

However, his SF VOL INIT 1.5, is also now commercial and called Shortcut.
Ray Lau is working for Aladdin Systems.  The init allows for unstuffing
(decompression) at any open, save, get dialog box as well as new folder
creation, and finding files buried deep in nested folders.
--Willi