[comp.sys.mac] Macs & Airplanes

rc3h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ross Ward Comer) (12/15/89)

I am interested in doing a bit of traveling with my Mac SE/30 w/40MB HD.
 I've got a carrying case, but I've got a few questions.

Macs & X-Rays - What's the deal?  Will airport x-ray machines harm
Mac/HD/floppies?

Under airplane seats - It doesn't look like this huge case will fit
under an airplane seat.  Anyone tried it?

Hard Drive - How much should I be concerned about the HD?  Does it
autopark (it's the one that came with the Mac, purchase just a few days
ago, and yes, it has the newer chip)?

Any other comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
ross

rc3h@andrew.cmu.edu

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (12/19/89)

rc3h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ross Ward Comer) writes:

>Macs & X-Rays - What's the deal?  Will airport x-ray machines harm
>Mac/HD/floppies?

Still a controversy. I've heard ONE AND ONLY ONE story about a friend
of a friend of someone on the net who had a 9" tape erased while going
through an airport x-ray machine in Germany. On the other hand, I've
taken a setup similar to yours (Mac SE/30, internal 80MB, various
floppies, all in a padded cordura "bag") through numerous airport x-ray
machines in the USA and never dropped a bit.

>Under airplane seats - It doesn't look like this huge case will fit
>under an airplane seat.  Anyone tried it?

Depends on the plane. On most newer planes my rig fits into the
overhead.  It just misses on DC-8 and their derivatives. It fits well
enough under the seat of a DC-8 to satisfy the flight attendants,
though. Most other planes I've tried won't let it fit under the seat.
For everyone's sanity and happiness, including your own, make the Mac
your ONLY carry-on. It is bulky and heavy as it is and is difficult to
maneuver in the cramped confines of an aircraft. Be polite.

>Hard Drive - How much should I be concerned about the HD?  Does it
>autopark

Don't worry about it. Yes. It autoparks.

>Any other comments/suggestions are welcome.

If you have an ethernet card in the SE, be extra carefull about
bumping.  The BNC connector sticks out an inch past the back of the
case and is very suseptible to damage. This was a kludge by Kinetics.

  --scott

CLAIMER: I speak for everybody!   :-O

--
Scott Truesdell

urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de (12/22/89)

<
< >Macs & X-Rays - What's the deal?  Will airport x-ray machines harm
< >Mac/HD/floppies?
<
< Still a controversy. I've heard ONE AND ONLY ONE story about a friend
< of a friend of someone on the net who had a 9" tape erased while going
< through an airport x-ray machine in Germany. On the other hand, I've
< taken a setup similar to yours (Mac SE/30, internal 80MB, various
< floppies, all in a padded cordura "bag") through numerous airport x-ray
< machines in the USA and never dropped a bit.
<
I have had one floppy zapped by an airport x-ray machine.

That floppy was buried on the bottom of my travel bag. A few floppies in a
side pocket were completely unmolested.

I contend that it's the magnets of the belt motors which cause this kind of
trouble, and not the x-rays.
I never had trouble with Macs, hard disks, or whatever. Hard disks are very
well "shielded" and should not lose any data.

--
Matthias Urlichs