[comp.sys.mac] Internet access over modems

jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) (12/22/89)

I'm curious, is there any software available for the Mac that will
make the Mac look like a bone fide' Internet host... over a 9600 baud
MODEM?  Sounds fairly difficult to me since this software would have
to support everything from the packet and transport layers right up to
the provision of a minimal set of Internet services.

I believe there is something for Unix machines called SL/IP which
takes over at the transport layer.  Not sure how this would all fit
together for a Mac though.

Anyone interested in Macs on the Internet?

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com

rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us (Richard Todd) (12/24/89)

In article <10182@zodiac.ADS.COM> jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) writes:
>I'm curious, is there any software available for the Mac that will
>make the Mac look like a bone fide' Internet host... over a 9600 baud
>MODEM?  Sounds fairly difficult to me since this software would have
>to support everything from the packet and transport layers right up to
>the provision of a minimal set of Internet services.
What you're taling about here is basically an implementation of the TCP/IP
protocol suite, along with some clients (FTP and the like), along with some
way of passing IP packets over serial lines.  It ain't easy,
but some people have done it.

>I believe there is something for Unix machines called SL/IP which
>takes over at the transport layer.  Not sure how this would all fit
>together for a Mac though.
SLIP is just a means for encapsulating IP (Internet Protocol) packets over
serial lines.  It isn't Unix-specific, though the existence of Rick Adams'
SLIP driver for BSD4.3 has no doubt helped in making it popular on Unix systems.
Implementations exist for other machines.

  Phil Karn has written a package called the KA9Q Networking Package for PCs
and Macs.  It's basically an implementation of the TCP/IP protocols for PCs
and Macs, along with SLIP drivers.  It's freeware, and available for ftp from
various sites (including Phil's own site, whose name I've completely forgotten
at the moment.)  You get source code, too.  I haven't used the Mac one much,
though I have played with the PC one some.
--
Richard Todd		rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us