[comp.sys.mac] MacX - X Windows for mac

ALE101@PSUVM.BITNET (Adrian Sullivan) (12/22/89)

In article <1989Dec21.191800.470@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>
nn7e@maxwell.acc.Virginia.EDU (Nagaraj Nandhakumar) writes:
>I am looking for an implementation of X Windows that runs under
>MacOS. Does anyone know of any package(s) ?  I have a Kinetics
>Ethernet card installed on a MacIIcx.
>Thanks in advance.

ok, I thought someone might have posted some information already, but since
anything detailed hasn't been posted, I might as well. Just to start things
off, I've never used x-windows or MacX... dont complain to me if you dont
understand something, since I know nothing :) ok, after going through a
whole bunch of papers from apple, i noticed this:

MacX

MacX is an X Window display server that runs under the Apple Macintosh
operating system, allowing users to enjoy the inherent portability of
the X Window system in conjunction with the intuitive user interface of
the Macintosh computer. The X Window System, developed by the MIT X
Consortium, was created specifically to provide a network-transparent
and vendor-independent operating environment. It has become a widely
accepted windowing and graphics standard, especially for UNIX-based
scientific applications.
The X Window System is based on a client/server model. Applications
(also called X clients) that have been written or adapted to support the
X Window protocol can be displayed in windows on the user's desktop
computer (the X server) while executing on remote host computers. By
providing an X Window display server for the Macintosh, Apple allows
users to access such host based applications from their Macintosh
personal computers.
MacX represents Apple's commitment to providing multivendor connectivity
and industry-standard systems solutions for the Macintosh users and
system integrators.

Features:

Compliance with the MIT specifications for the X Window System
version 11 Release 3.

Support for MultiFinder software

Support for multiple networking protocols

Support for multiple monitors

Built-in Window Manager

Support for both monochrome and color applications

Remote startup capabilities

System requirements:
Mac+ thru Mac SE/30 and all MacII models supported
at least 1mb of memory (2mb or more recomended)
at least two floppy disk drives (hard disk highly recommended)
Macintosh System software version 6.0.3 (or later)
a network connection (using the built-in LocalTalk port in the Macintosh or an
Ethernet connection)

Optional Equipment:
Apple EtherTalk NB card or the equivalent
MacII Extended high-res display video card and apple hi-res color monitor

hope this helps some people
-------
                                                   Adrian Sullivan
                                                   Vice President - PAMUG
                                                   Pennsylvania Apple/Mac UG
                                                   (814) 238-4276
                                                   axs@psuarch.bitnet

bjb@pyramid.pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) (12/25/89)

I talked to Apple about a month ago (I think that it was to Developer Services
and to Software Licensing). They said that MacX would probably be out thru
APDA mid year and out through the software licensing organization a couple
months before that.

'Course none of this should be considered reliable... considering the
track record of software releases.

Hope this helps.

-Bruce

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (12/27/89)

In article <95879@pyramid.pyramid.com> bjb@pyramid.pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) writes:
>I talked to Apple about a month ago (I think that it was to Developer Services
>and to Software Licensing). They said that MacX would probably be out thru
>APDA mid year and out through the software licensing organization a couple
>months before that.

While MacX has been announced, it is not yet shipping.  It will NOT be
available through APDA.  Current plans are to distribute it through
Apple's existing base of Networking and Communications Authorized Dealers.
I'm sure Apple will make an announcement when it actually starts shipping.

That is all the info I have right now.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Channels/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.