[comp.sys.mac] Defining undo, cut, copy and paste for extended keyboard

chcu321@ut-emx.UUCP (Michael J. Liebman) (12/23/89)

Well, I've had enough of the "Xe*ox su*s Apple," "Mac vs I*M," and
"Mac vs N*xT" threads, so I thought I'd ask a REAL ( 1/100 :-) )
question.

On the Apple extended keyboard, function keys F1 - F4 are conveniently
marked as undo, cut, copy and paste, respectively.  Unfortunately,
the functions only work when I'm using MacroMucker, which I despise.
So, I would like to know how to define these keys without MacroMucker.
I have ResEdit and am willing to attack a copy of my system.

If anybody has a solution, please mail (or post if you think it is
warranted) to me.  I figure that this is a trivial hack that many have
already solved.  I'm just a little too dense to figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

  Michael J. Liebman             INTERNET:
  Dept. of Chemical Engineering    mjl@cheme1.che.utexas.edu (128.83.162.2)
  University of Texas at Austin    chcu321@emx.cc.utexas.edu (128.83.1.33)
   (512) 471-5150.ma.bell        BITNET:
                                   liebman@UTAIVC

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (12/25/89)

In article <22722@ut-emx.UUCP> chcu321@ut-emx.UUCP (Michael J. Liebman) writes:
>Well, I've had enough of the "Xe*ox su*s Apple," "Mac vs I*M," and
>"Mac vs N*xT" threads, so I thought I'd ask a REAL ( 1/100 :-) )
>question.
Hear hear!

>On the Apple extended keyboard, function keys F1 - F4 are conveniently
>marked as undo, cut, copy and paste, respectively.  Unfortunately,
>the functions only work when I'm using MacroMucker, which I despise.

Many newer applications support these keys.  The program has to explicity
support them (unless you're using some sort of macro package).  I *think*
all the newest release of Claris products support these keys.  I *know*
MacDraw II 1.1 does (and it only took me about 10 minutes to add this!)

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce
 -------------+--------------------------------------

chcu321@ut-emx.UUCP (Michael J. Liebman) (12/29/89)

In article <22722@ut-emx.UUCP> I wrote:

>On the Apple extended keyboard, function keys F1 - F4 are conveniently
>marked as undo, cut, copy and paste, respectively.  Unfortunately,
>the functions only work when I'm using MacroMucker, which I despise.

Thanks to Dave Platt for pointing me in the direction of SaratogaKey,
an Init which does exactly what I wanted.  Unfortunately, it does not
work within MicroSoft Word 4.0.  It sure would be nice if these
commercial developers would stay within the guidelines (are you
listening, MicroSoft??).

The init can be ftp'ed from the sumex archives as saratoga.hqx
(BinHex'ed and StuffIt'ed) in the init subdirectory.