[comp.sys.mac] System 7.0: Apple Press Release of 18 Dec

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (12/28/89)

December 18, 1989

						Apple Computer
						Press Information

Dear Editor,

Last May at the Worldwide Developer's Conference we disclosed to our
developers the core technologies under development for future versions
of Macintosh System Software.  At that time we told our developers that
we would proviede an update on our development progress by the end of
the year.  The following update provides a summary of the information
given to developers on System 7.0's shipping schedule, feature set, and
hardware requirements.

Excellent progress has been made on all of the core technologies
discussed at the Worldwide Developers Conference.  We anticipate
releasing System 7.0 in the summer 1990 timeframe.  We are well into
development of System 7.0 and are preparing to initiate and then
gradually expand our developer seeding program over the next several
months.

System 7.0 will include Finger (tm) 7.0, Outline Fonts, Interapplication
Communications Architecture, Database Access Manager, Virtual Memory,
and 32-bit addressing.

A new core technology, called Macintosh FileShare, will also be
delivered in System 7.0 as an integral extension to the Finder.  This
new technology is another step in Apple's integration of networking with
the Macintosh Operating System.  It will allow users to share their
local files, without a file server, with any other computer running
AppleShare client software.

The Communications Toolbox and 32-bit QuickDraw (available today for
6.0) will be incorporated into System 7.0.  System 7.0 will also include
several other new features that were discussed last spring, including
the Help Manager, and enhancements to the Sound Manager, file system,
TextEdit, Script Manager, and Time Manager system software.  We will
include new print drivers for printing Apple Outline Fonts to all
printers, including PostScript devices.

Progress on other core technologies, the Layout Manager, and the new
print architecture, is also proceeding well.  These core technologies
will be incorporated into a future system software release.  We will
provide additional information about these technologies and other new
software technologies at the Worldwide Developer Conference in May.

- end of press release

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (12/28/89)

In article <265@limbo.Intuitive.Com> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>December 18, 1989
>
>						Apple Computer
>						Press Information
>
>Dear Editor,
>
>System 7.0 will include Finger (tm) 7.0, Outline Fonts, Interapplication
                         !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>Communications Architecture, Database Access Manager, Virtual Memory,
>and 32-bit addressing.

Wow. Now we go real MULTI-USER!

--

				Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi)
				anon. ftp site (128.214.12.3)

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (12/29/89)

In article <265@limbo.Intuitive.Com> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
> [Describing Apple's December 18, 1989 press release]
>System 7.0 will include Finger (tm) 7.0

Finder, actually.  Apple's System software doesn't include anything like
the finger command in UNIX, though with the Responder INIT in your System
Folder, several programs will let you see who else is on the network.  These
include CheckNet from Farallon, and AT View, a shareware desk accessory from
Randy Dees.

>A new core technology, called Macintosh FileShare, will also be
>delivered in System 7.0 as an integral extension to the Finder.  This
>new technology is another step in Apple's integration of networking with
>the Macintosh Operating System.  It will allow users to share their
>local files, without a file server, with any other computer running
>AppleShare client software.

Hmm, I wonder what this will do to such products as TOPS and PSN.  It
sounds like this will render PSN entirely obsolete, since it allows the
sharing of local files, without a file server, with any other computer
running AppleShare (or other AFP-compliant) client software.  The TOPS
product line should do a bit better, since they have versions for PCs and
UNIX systems.  It'll be interesting to see what IPT (PSN's creators) do.

--
Mark H. Anbinder        ************************** mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
BAKA Industries                                 ** ...!batcomputer!memory!mha