[comp.sys.mac] User interface

In <5828@internal.Apple.COM>, casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:
>In article <JACOBS.89Dec18090720@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu
>(Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>> Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
>> they get in the way of experienced users.
>
>Sorry, but this is an absurd statement.  There are many thousands of
>experienced users who are very happy with the Mac interface.

Yes, they are experienced..  in running Macs.  There are millions of folks
experienced in doing a lot of things with less than the best tools for the job.
It doesn't follow that using inapropriate tools is A Good Thing.

>> ...An ideal system should
>> allow the user to use _either_ the mouse or the keyboard, based on the
>> preference of the user.
>
>This may be so, but the expense of developing two user interfaces for one
>system would be rather high.  The real benefit of a type-in user interface
>comes in being able to write a script of many commands to be executed as a
>batch, and in applications where this makes sense, the application
>developers have provided macro facilities that serve the purpose.  For
>programmers, Apple's own MPW offers a highly customizable interface that
>give you just about as much type-in as you want, or as little.  There is
>no real need to provide something as specialized as a type-in interface at
>the system level, forcing everyone to pay for it.

Funny you should mention that. If having two user interfaces is so costly, why
are Macs so high priced compared to Amigas?

>> Neither the Mac nor the PC are even close to
>> ideal in this regard.  Apple had a great opportunity to make an ideal
>> system with the Mac, but they blew it by forcing the mouse on everyone.
>
>There is nothing in the Mac that forces any application to use the mouse.
>In the early days of the Mac, quite a few developers did quick ports of
>their PC applications, with type-in interfaces, to the Mac.  Guess what?
>Nobody would buy them.  SOMEBODY wants the mouse whole lot!

In the early days of the Mac, Apple did not see fit to provide cursor keys. At
that time, when it was pointed out that cursor keys might be A Good Thing, the
rationalizations of the Mac owners could be heard proclaiming the superiority of
the mouse for such things. Don't seem to hear that too much any more with
respect to cursor keys.  Now it's canged to things like "Providing two
interfaces is too costly", and in general, "The mouse is good for everything I
can do with the mouse, and I don't need to do anything I can't do with the
mouse." Sounds real familiar.

>> Sure, lots of applications will give you a choice in many commands, but
>> this is not part of the standard interface -- you can't even start up
>> the application without using the mouse.  This is a bug, not a feature.
>
>No, friend, this is a feature that you don't like.

Call it a feature if you want. I'll go along with it being a bug. Why is it
that every user of a machine with blatant deficiencies wants to justify it and
drag everyone else down to the same level?

>> If keyboards are so evil, then
>> why do so many Mac applications have keystroke "shortcuts" for most
>> of their commands?
>
>Because that is a standard part of the Mac user interface.
>
>> Again, giving the user a _choice_ is a better solution.
>
>Talk to the application developers.

That statement speaks volumes. I'd rather have the manufacturer provide the
right tools, a choice of tools, in ways that allow the user to decide for
himself. You'd rather be bound by the fascism of the manufacturer telling you
what user interface is best for you, and removing choice.

I see no inherent difference between the IBM PC(lones) and the Mac, in that the
OS only provides one way of communicating with the machine, leaving the
workarounds to the application programmers and addon interface writers. Even
with its two user interfaces, the Amiga has its share of folks writing their
own versions of them. That should tell you and Apple something about trying to
force a single type of interface down the throats of the computing public.

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -

kuo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (KUO ANDY Y) (12/18/89)

In article <1989Dec17.223025.6618@me.toronto.edu> yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) writes:
>I wrote:
>>Why hasn't anyone sue the big blue for
>>- giving user the *ugly*, *unfriendly* text based interface from hell?
>>- shamelessly cheat the users for a actually not so good computer?
>>- rudely made many users' life miserable and waster users' time?

>[lines deleted]
>	Then again, my first summer job was writing assembly language
>	programs for these things back in '85 (aside: I didn't even know
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^
>	what assembly language was, when I got the job :-) and I can see
>	how people who can't intuit the innards of DOS/Unix might have
>	a problem.

  I believe we are at the end of the 80's and almost into the 90's :-).

  Back in '85, people would "wow" at a application like MacPaint,
people would be happy if they can see a menu listing of commands.

  But today, you will probably want to use some high level language
and make some library/toolbox calls to draw windows, control the mouse,
make the interface "standard".
  Assembly language is fast and I have nothing against it, but it is
not practical to program a sophiscated application using it on today's
fast computers.

  My main points are : The computer for the general users should not be
                       command driven.
                       The real use for computers when *everyone* can
                       use it as a source for information/communication,
                       just like a telephone.

  To reduce the learning curve and be intuitive, standalized pull
down menus, mouse, window, dialogs is superior than purely command
driven.

  I believe the netters will agree with me that the success of UNIX is
not because of its command driven interface.  The power is in its system,
after so many fixes.
  Here is the point again, why are people building XWindow, *View..etc on
it?  If the innard of UNIX is so intuitive, why bother with these
windowing systems?

  After one spend enought time with a system, something that's not
so intuitive will become *nature* to him.  It is simply unfair
to say that system is "intuitive" to the *general users* when he
spend hours on it.
  I probably really have not "intuite the innards of DOS", I think
these GUIs have spoiled me -- and after I have seen what people
are going through with the DOS.

jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) (12/18/89)

In article <14969@boulder.Colorado.EDU> kuo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (KUO ANDY Y) writes:
>     My main points are : The computer for the general users should not be
>			  command driven.
>			  The real use for computers when *everyone* can
>			  use it as a source for information/communication,
>			  just like a telephone.
>
>     To reduce the learning curve and be intuitive, standalized pull
>   down menus, mouse, window, dialogs is superior than purely command
>   driven.

Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
they get in the way of experienced users.  An ideal system should not
_force_ the user to use a mouse/menu system, just as an ideal system
should not _force_ the user to type commands.  An ideal system should
allow the user to use _either_ the mouse or the keyboard, based on the
preference of the user.  Neither the Mac nor the PC are even close to
ideal in this regard.  Apple had a great opportunity to make an ideal
system with the Mac, but they blew it by forcing the mouse on everyone.
Sure, lots of applications will give you a choice in many commands, but
this is not part of the standard interface -- you can't even start up
the application without using the mouse.  This is a bug, not a feature.
It would have been better if everything could be done both ways.

>  I believe the netters will agree with me that the success of UNIX is
> not because of its command driven interface.  The power is in its system,
> after so many fixes.
>   Here is the point again, why are people building XWindow, *View..etc on
> it?  If the innard of UNIX is so intuitive, why bother with these
> windowing systems?

The point _isn't_ that mice/menus are bad.  The point is that being
*forced* to use the mouse is bad.  For many, it is much more efficient
to type in commands rather than drag the mouse through a bunch of
menus.  For others, it is much easier to use the menus.  The Mac
doesn't give the user much choice.  If keyboards are so evil, then
why do so many Mac applications have keystroke "shortcuts" for most
of their commands?  Again, giving the user a _choice_ is a better
solutions.

--
Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (12/19/89)

(Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
> Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
> they get in the way of experienced users.

Sorry, but this is an absurd statement.  There are many thousands of
experienced users who are very happy with the Mac interface.

> ...An ideal system should
> allow the user to use _either_ the mouse or the keyboard, based on the
> preference of the user.

This may be so, but the expense of developing two user interfaces for one
system would be rather high.  The real benefit of a type-in user interface
comes in being able to write a script of many commands to be executed as a
batch, and in applications where this makes sense, the application
developers have provided macro facilities that serve the purpose.  For
programmers, Apple's own MPW offers a highly customizable interface that
give you just about as much type-in as you want, or as little.  There is
no real need to provide something as specialized as a type-in interface at
the system level, forcing everyone to pay for it.

> Neither the Mac nor the PC are even close to
> ideal in this regard.  Apple had a great opportunity to make an ideal
> system with the Mac, but they blew it by forcing the mouse on everyone.

There is nothing in the Mac that forces any application to use the mouse.
In the early days of the Mac, quite a few developers did quick ports of
their PC applications, with type-in interfaces, to the Mac.  Guess what?
Nobody would buy them.  SOMEBODY wants the mouse whole lot!

> Sure, lots of applications will give you a choice in many commands, but
> this is not part of the standard interface -- you can't even start up
> the application without using the mouse.  This is a bug, not a feature.

No, friend, this is a feature that you don't like.

> If keyboards are so evil, then
> why do so many Mac applications have keystroke "shortcuts" for most
> of their commands?

Because that is a standard part of the Mac user interface.

> Again, giving the user a _choice_ is a better solution.

Talk to the application developers.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) (12/19/89)

In article <5828@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:
> In article <JACOBS.89Dec18090720@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu
>(Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>> Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
>> they get in the way of experienced users.
>
> Sorry, but this is an absurd statement.  There are many thousands of
> experienced users who are very happy with the Mac interface.

"100,000 Mac users can't be wrong ..." Tell me about absurd.  You entirely
missed my point.  I'm not telling anybody not to use mice/menus etc.  They
are great for doing many things, especially when learning to use a new
software package.  All I'm saying is that mice/menus aren't the best way
to do _everything_, and there is a lot to be said for letting the user
decide when they are best.

I'm well aware that there are grundles of happy Mac'ers out there, but
there are also many thousands of Mac users that get tired of digging
through menus to do everything, when some simple typed commands would
perform the same operation on any system that had a little support for
typed commands.

> There is nothing in the Mac that forces any application to use the mouse.
> In the early days of the Mac, quite a few developers did quick ports of
> their PC applications, with type-in interfaces, to the Mac.  Guess what?
> Nobody would buy them.  SOMEBODY wants the mouse whole lot!

You are putting words in my mouth that I did not use.  All I said was that
it is better to give the user a choice.  All commands with no mouse support
is almost as bad as all mouse support with no support for commands.

>> Sure, lots of applications will give you a choice in many commands, but
>> this is not part of the standard interface -- you can't even start up
>> the application without using the mouse.  This is a bug, not a feature.
>
> No, friend, this is a feature that you don't like.

I'm merely suggesting ways to improve on a good thing.  After all,
progress is not made by people that are satified with the status quo.

>> Again, giving the user a _choice_ is a better solution.
>
>  Talk to the application developers.

Why gripe to the application developers about a fundamental flaw in
the system?  All of the serious applications that I've seen have much
better keyboard support than the Finder.

--
Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

plouff@levers.enet.dec.com (12/19/89)

In article <5828@internal.Apple.COM>, casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes...
>In article <JACOBS.89Dec18090720@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu
>(Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>> ...An ideal system should
>> allow the user to use _either_ the mouse or the keyboard, based on the
>> preference of the user.
>
>This may be so, but the expense of developing two user interfaces for one
>system would be rather high.  The real benefit of a type-in user interface
>comes in being able to write a script of many commands to be executed as a
>batch, and in applications where this makes sense, the application
>developers have provided macro facilities that serve the purpose.  For
>programmers, Apple's own MPW offers a highly customizable interface that
>give you just about as much type-in as you want, or as little.  There is
>no real need to provide something as specialized as a type-in interface at
>the system level, forcing everyone to pay for it.

Point of fact, since we're getting all this GUI war stuff in
comp.sys.amiga... _Every_ Amiga, from Day 1, has shipped with two user
interfaces, the desktop-ish Workbench and the line-oriented CLI.  There
are some differences requiring programs to know which UI invoked them,
but the startup code is pretty much pro forma.  With the next version of
the operating system, AmigaDOS 1.4 (shipping RSN), rumor has it that the
two interfaces will be brought closer together with default file icons
and text-oriented Workbench file list options, the latter similar to
Microsoft Windows.

So Amiga says "yes" to both camps.  Now can you move the debate
out of the Amiga newsgroup?

Wes Plouff
--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Littleton, Mass.
plouff%levers.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com

Networking bibliography:  _Islands in the Net_, by Bruce Sterling
			  _The Matrix_, by John S. Quarterman

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (12/19/89)

:
:Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
:they get in the way of experienced users.  An ideal system should not
:_force_ the user to use a mouse/menu system, just as an ideal system
:should not _force_ the user to type commands.  An ideal system should
:allow the user to use _either_ the mouse or the keyboard, based on the
:preference of the user.  Neither the Mac nor the PC are even close to
:ideal in this regard.  .....

Hmm.  Sounds like an Amiga to me.  Now's the time to take a closer look.

:
:--
:Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

Joel Swan

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (12/20/89)

In article <JACOBS.89Dec18135051@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu
(Steven R. Jacobs) writes:

> I'm well aware that there are grundles of happy Mac'ers out there, but
> there are also many thousands of Mac users that get tired of digging
> through menus to do everything, when some simple typed commands would
> perform the same operation on any system that had a little support for
> typed commands... All commands with no mouse support
> is almost as bad as all mouse support with no support for commands.

How much support do you want?  The Mac makes it very easy to implement a
type-in interface -- easier, in fact, than implementing a point/click
interface.

> Why gripe to the application developers about a fundamental flaw in
> the system?  All of the serious applications that I've seen have much
> better keyboard support than the Finder.

Is it the Finder's lack of type-in interface that bothers you?  The Finder
is not the system, it's just an application.  Numerous developers have
written substitutes for the Finder, and some of them provide a type-in
interface.  I don't know if any of these are on the market, though,
because in fact very few people seem to want this kind of interface on the
Finder.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (12/20/89)

In article <920@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry
Phillips) writes:

[I wrote]
> >Talk to the application developers.

> That statement speaks volumes. I'd rather have the manufacturer provide
> the right tools, a choice of tools, in ways that allow the user to
> decide for himself. You'd rather be bound by the fascism of the
> manufacturer telling you what user interface is best for you, and
> removing choice.

Let me spell something out for you:  The Mac makes it possible to
implement a point/click interface; it makes it MUCH EASIER to implement a
type-in interface.  What "tools" do you think Apple should provide?

> I see no inherent difference between the IBM PC(lones) and the Mac, in
> that the OS only provides one way of communicating with the machine,
> leaving the workarounds to the application programmers and addon
> interface writers.  Even with its two user interfaces, the Amiga has
> its share of folks writing their own versions of them. That should
> tell you and Apple something about trying to force a single type of
> interface down the throats of the computing public.

Apple does not try to force a single type of user interface down anyone's
throat, as you would know if you would learn anything about the Mac.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

robin@niksula.hut.fi (Jarto Tarpio) (12/20/89)

   (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
   > Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
   > they get in the way of experienced users.

   Sorry, but this is an absurd statement.  There are many thousands of
   experienced users who are very happy with the Mac interface.

	I think, that they would be _more_ happy with a possibility to use
	it. I like the mouse and use icons etc., but I always have a small
	window in a corner, where I can run DOS. That's a feature.

   > ...An ideal system should
   > allow the user to use _either_ the mouse or the keyboard, based on the
   > preference of the user.

	Not either-or. Both simultaneously !

   > Neither the Mac nor the PC are even close to
   > ideal in this regard.  Apple had a great opportunity to make an ideal
   > system with the Mac, but they blew it by forcing the mouse on everyone.

   There is nothing in the Mac that forces any application to use the mouse.
   In the early days of the Mac, quite a few developers did quick ports of
   their PC applications, with type-in interfaces, to the Mac.  Guess what?
   Nobody would buy them.  SOMEBODY wants the mouse whole lot!

	You missed the point. Why use keyboard OR mouse, when it should be
	possible to use keyboard AND mouse. I have always liked systems,
	where you can freely choose the way you use it.

   > Sure, lots of applications will give you a choice in many commands, but
   > this is not part of the standard interface -- you can't even start up
   > the application without using the mouse.  This is a bug, not a feature.

   No, friend, this is a feature that you don't like.

	Is it a feature to leave something out ? I like to compile and run
	my proggies without a mouse, when I have to do it a lot.

   > If keyboards are so evil, then
   > why do so many Mac applications have keystroke "shortcuts" for most
   > of their commands?

   Because that is a standard part of the Mac user interface.

	Now I don't understand.

   > Again, giving the user a _choice_ is a better solution.

	RIGHT !

   Talk to the application developers.

	Talk to system-developers :)

PLEASE !

There are articles here concerning only PC and Mac. What do they do here ?
Please do not post such articles here.

   David Casseres

   Exclaimer:  Hey!

--
* Jarto Tarpio * robin@niksula.hut.fi  *       Helsinki      *     Place      *
*              * f36695h@taltta.hut.fi *     University of   *   Commercial   *

gdavis@primate.wisc.edu (Gary Davis) (12/21/89)

From article <5876@internal.Apple.COM>, by casseres@apple.com (David Casseres):

> Is it the Finder's lack of type-in interface that bothers you?  The Finder
> is not the system, it's just an application.  Numerous developers have
> written substitutes for the Finder, and some of them provide a type-in
> interface.  I don't know if any of these are on the market, though,
> because in fact very few people seem to want this kind of interface on the
> Finder.

Soon after the Mac was introduced there were at least two command-line
Finder substitutes available for the Mac from third parties. Someone
even ported CPM 68K over (So the Mac could have a real operating
system -:)). None of this stuff sold, except maybe to Jerry Pournelle.
Most Mac users, including the many technically adept converts from
older systems like MS-DOS or Apple DOS, quickly saw that a command
line wasn't really needed.

I suspect some of the people who insist that command lines are faster
than menus haven't really used the Mac and are thinking of the
often clumsier kinds of nested, modal menu systems you can find
on MS-DOS.

I wouldn't want to claim that there are never situations where
command lines might not be useful, especially when you can
combine them into batch files, though these situations are rare.

Someone has probably already pointed out the MPW does give you
command line and batch file capabilities, though you have to
pay extra for it. But there is also a public domain command
line and batch file interface available for the Mac, which
looks pretty much like MS-DOS. I don't remember its name, but
I think it's available on sumex.

I think it's fair to say too that Apple actually includes a
command line with every Mac, namely HyperCard. You can do
pretty much any kind of file management you might like from
the message box in HyperCard, though it is true that you
would need to plug in some XCMDs. But HyperCard was designed
to make plugging in extra functions very easy.

HyperCard also can serve as a very nice batch file facility,
much more powerful than that in MS-DOS and more like
REXX in its capabilities. I have to admit that occasionally
a facility like this can be quite useful. For instance, I had
845 small text files containing experimental data that
I needed to analyze in various ways. It was quite easy to
set up HyperCard to open all those files in succession,
do the analyses and dump out files with the results. I
wouldn't have wanted to sit down with the average interactive-
style Mac program and go through them all myself.

Gary Davis

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (12/21/89)

lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>Funny you should mention that. If having two user interfaces is so costly, why
>are Macs so high priced compared to Amigas?

Because Macs are easier to use than Amigas, tend to be more reliable, and have
a vastly greater number of applications available for use.  All of which makes
the _utility_ of the Mac > than that of the Amiga, which means that users are
willing to pay a higher price to get that extra utility.

Don't blame Apple for being good capitalists and maximizing their return.

--
Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.   !uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP
Announcing TEMPORAL EXPRESS.  For only $999,999.95 (per page), your message

jmann@bigbootay (Jim Mann) (12/21/89)

>> Neither the Mac nor the PC are even close to
>> ideal in this regard.  Apple had a great opportunity to make an ideal
>> system with the Mac, but they blew it by forcing the mouse on everyone.

>There is nothing in the Mac that forces any application to use the mouse.
>In the early days of the Mac, quite a few developers did quick ports of
>their PC applications, with type-in interfaces, to the Mac.  Guess what?
>Nobody would buy them.  SOMEBODY wants the mouse whole lot!

But the MAC does force you to use the mouse from system level. While this
is nice much of the time, it would be nice in some cases to be able to
use the keyboard.

>> Sure, lots of applications will give you a choice in many commands, but
>> this is not part of the standard interface -- you can't even start up
>> the application without using the mouse.  This is a bug, not a feature.

>No, friend, this is a feature that you don't like.

How is the lack of a feature (lack of a command line interface) a feature?
It may not be a big negative but it certainly isn't a positive thing
to not allow users to do more stuff from the command line.

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (12/21/89)

Here are my two favorite examples of why it is at least *sometimes*
a good idea to have a command line interface available.

1. del *.bak
	vs
   {long sequence of click and drags}

2. copy \subdir\filename.ext
	vs
   {the totally *non* intuitive sequence needed to move a file from
    a subdirectory to the root directory}

I make extensive use of utilities with a "point and shoot" interface,
so I know that command line isn't perfect. But on the other hand, there
are times when command line is a whole lot simpler.

BTW how come I can't drag the file onto the desktop, close the window
on the subdirectory, then grab the file from where I left it and drop
it into the window for the root directory? *That* would be intuitive!
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (12/22/89)

In article <ROBIN.89Dec20104650@tko-sony-12.hut.fi> robin@niksula.hut.fi
(Jarto Tarpio) writes:
>         Not either-or. Both simultaneously !...
>
>         ...Why use keyboard OR mouse, when it should be
>         possible to use keyboard AND mouse. I have always liked systems,
>         where you can freely choose the way you use it.
>
>         ...I like to compile and run
>         my proggies without a mouse, when I have to do it a lot.

Please take a look at MPW.  You can customize it to provide exactly the
mix of mouse and keyboard control you personally prefer.

>    > If keyboards are so evil, then
>    > why do so many Mac applications have keystroke "shortcuts" for most
>    > of their commands?
>
>    Because that is a standard part of the Mac user interface.
>
>         Now I don't understand.

Take a look at Apple's documentation of Mac user interface guidelines.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

In article <502@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> jmann@bigbootay (Jim Mann) writes:
> But the MAC does force you to use the mouse from system level.

This is categorically false.  Anyone who believes this has not in fact
taken a close look at the Mac.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

In article <ROBIN.89Dec20104650@tko-sony-12.hut.fi> robin@niksula.hut.fi (Jarto Tarpio) writes:
>In article <5828@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:

>   In article <JACOBS.89Dec18090720@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu
>   (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>   > Menus and mice are great when you are first learning to use a system, but
>   > they get in the way of experienced users.

>   Sorry, but this is an absurd statement.  There are many thousands of
>   experienced users who are very happy with the Mac interface.

There are many experienced users happy with the MS-DOS, Lotus 1-2-3, and
Wordperfect 4.0 user intefaces.  That does not have thing one to do with
the quality of those interfaces in many cases, it simply means that thay
may have never had the choice or exposure to something better.

To pick a relatively neutral ground, I'm a rather heavy user of Mentor
software on an Apollo computer.  The software can be completely used via
a decent GUI with pop-up and pulldown menus (eg, in many cases faster
than the Mac's, since you don't have to move the mouse to get the menus
you use the most), and it can also be driven with a command language
and keyboard.  Everyone who first leans the system uses the mouse interface
exclusively, since you can lean it in a few hours.  However, most of the
power users use the keyboard for many things.  It's just plain faster for
invoking operations that aren't inherently mouse based.  I'd use a different
tool if I had to enter nets by specifying numeric coordinates; there is
and always will be a place for some kind of pointing device.  But a keyboard
is also very useful for entering commands, and I've found in using some
rather complex programs that do it both ways, a full command language is
better than single-character equivalents for mouse commands if you have
enough of a program to need the command language.  Just like the PC user
who may have never used a mouse driven program, the Mac user can't begin
to appreciate how much better some of their work can be done by command
language without experiencing it first hand.

>	Not either-or. Both simultaneously !

Well, that is exactly what you get in the Mentor software.

>   SOMEBODY wants the mouse whole lot!

Most any program will be easier to learn if it has a mouse driven interface.
That interface is basically a command sheet (like the one that comes with
Wordperfect) that the computer understands directly.  Of course users want
it.  If both interfaces are offered, though, power users will invariably
start using at least some of the command language, if it's available.  Just
what actually happens with the Mentor software and the Amiga system software
(though few Amiga applications actually offer both).

>   > Sure, lots of applications will give you a choice in many commands, but
>   > this is not part of the standard interface -- you can't even start up
>   > the application without using the mouse.  This is a bug, not a feature.

>   No, friend, this is a feature that you don't like.

You can't claim to favor a user interface that offers both options, then
claim that removing one option is actually a feature.  I don't think it's
a bug either, rather, a design flaw.  Unfortunately, bugs can usually be
fixed, design flaws often can't.

>* Jarto Tarpio * robin@niksula.hut.fi  *       Helsinki      *     Place      *

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) (12/23/89)

In article <1830@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
>2. copy \subdir\filename.ext
>	vs
>   {the totally *non* intuitive sequence needed to move a file from
>    a subdirectory to the root directory}
>
>BTW how come I can't drag the file onto the desktop, close the window
>on the subdirectory, then grab the file from where I left it and drop
>it into the window for the root directory? *That* would be intuitive!

You can, you know! It works just fine!

   Robert

tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mike Taylor) (12/27/89)

>   Here is the point again, why are people building XWindow, *View..etc on
> it?  If the innard of UNIX is so intuitive, why bother with these
> windowing systems?

I think that one of the major advantages that gets overlooked by those who
are not accustomed to using X Window Systems is that they provide a standard
protocol for displaying an application over the network.

I have the opportunity to see the importance of this every day.  For instance,
my company is currently marketing a not yet released software product to a
certain customer who has a very large installation of competitor's platforms.
The problem is that although the customer sees the product as something they
would like very much, we will not be able to support the software on our
competitor's platforms in the short term.

The solution is that since both our platforms and our competitors support
X Window Systems, the end-user who needs to use the software execute the
binary on our platform and have it displayed on any platform that supports
X Window Systems.  So, the advantage of owning a system that supports
X Window Systems is having a network transparent windowing system.  The
GUI is another issue.

Motif, Open Look, *View, etc, are all toolkits, which are used on the X
Window System to provide application developers with a means for providing
some standard GUI versus writing your code at the X Window System protocol
level.  If Apple chose to, they could provide a toolkit compatible with the
Mac look and feel.  As I understand, Apple IS working at providing X on the
Mac, but, I will admit that I am new to this notes group and mostly ignorant
about what Apple is doing with the Mac.  I can say that the Mac interface
is at this moment in time, probably the most intuitive, but this is no
reason for Apple to sit content.  There is more to a computer than the look
and feel of it's user interface, as we will certainly see in the '90's.

As far as the terminal-based vs. graphical-based interface discussion, this
is how it is:  Terminal-based (keyboard-only) applications are generally less
user friendly and generally more flexible.  Graphical-based (mouse and
keyboard) are generally more user friendly and generally less flexible.

Although I have not used a Mac intensively, it seems that it is generally
targeted for the user who prefers to know as little as possible about the
computer and just wants to get some work done.  While Apple has made landmark
progress in the usability of computers, the Mac interface *is not* the
ultimate.  For the time being, if Apple wishes to extend it's Mac target
market, it will have to consider the lack of a terminal-based interface as
a defect.  I find it hard to believe that such an interface would be
that technically difficult to achieve if you look at what people really
need, although, far be it from me to espouse what people need, but I would
contend that a little more flexibility in the Mac environment wouldn't hurt.

Mike "Sold on X" Taylor

stel@tank.uchicago.edu (stelios valavanis) (12/27/89)

In article <1830@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:

>Here are my two favorite examples of why it is at least *sometimes*
>a good idea to have a command line interface available.
>
>1. del *.bak
>	vs
>   {long sequence of click and drags}

you can do this on the mac by viewing files by 'type' and selecting
all the files with that type with a single mouse-stroke and dragginf
them to the trash.  i do it all the time.  not only that you can
exclude a couple of those files by shift-clicking them out of the
selection before dragging to the trash.  try doing that on your
vanilla pc!  the only thing that allows you to do stuff like that on a
pc are utls like xtree pro which i think is a very good piece of
software.  i haven't seen what the mac version looks like since i have
never gotten frustrated with the interface as i have been on the pc.
for your info i have been a pc programmer/user for a couple more years
than on the mac.

>2. copy \subdir\filename.ext
>	vs
>   {the totally *non* intuitive sequence needed to move a file from
>    a subdirectory to the root directory}

try dragging directly to the disk icon.  this will put whatever into
the root directory.

>I make extensive use of utilities with a "point and shoot" interface,
>so I know that command line isn't perfect. But on the other hand, there
>are times when command line is a whole lot simpler.

i agree but so many of these have been addressed so well on the mac
that i can't help but prefer it.  and windows doesn't compare since
you have to setup each prog to get it to work properly and not all
support the mouse nor the fonts and you can't click on files.  i still
use windows most of the time when on a pc but the fact that i have to
exit it to run something because i haven't installed it yet and don't
have the time means something.

>BTW how come I can't drag the file onto the desktop, close the window
>on the subdirectory, then grab the file from where I left it and drop
>it into the window for the root directory? *That* would be intuitive!

stel

--
Bitnet:        uclstel@uchimvs1.bitnet | remember, you can't know something
Internet:       stel@tank.uchicago.edu | you don't know, but you can

long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard C. Long) (12/27/89)

In article <6877@tank.uchicago.edu>, stel@tank.uchicago.edu (stelios  valavanis) writes...
>In article <1830@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
>>
>>1. del *.bak
>>	vs
>>   {long sequence of click and drags}
>
>you can do this on the mac by viewing files by 'type' and selecting
>all the files with that type with a single mouse-stroke and dragginf
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>them to the trash.  i do it all the time.  not only that you can
>exclude a couple of those files by shift-clicking them out of the
>selection before dragging to the trash.  try doing that on your
>[...]

How do you do that?  The selection marquee doesn't work in any non-icon view.
I've always had to shift-click each file I want deleted, then drag them all as
a unit, which is a major pain. I think this is one area where a CLI is better.

Rich

 /'')  /''  /   | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            |  Hey!  You're not
/''\  /__  /__  | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long |   Rockin' Ricky
Richard C. Long | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com |   fans! -- "Gremlins"

barmar@Think.COM (12/27/89)

In article <7116@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard C. Long) writes:
>How do you do that?  The selection marquee doesn't work in any non-icon view.
>I've always had to shift-click each file I want deleted, then drag them all as
>a unit, which is a major pain. I think this is one area where a CLI is better.

Well, it's an area where the DOS/Unix-style CLI is better than the Finder,
but it shouldn't be an indictment of graphical interfaces in general.  Many
Mac applications that display lists of things permit you to drag through
the list in order to select a sequence of contiguous items; maybe someday
the Finder will include this feature.  I can also conceive of more
sophisticated possibilities, such as a "Select All of Type..." menu option
(it would pop up a list of all the file types in the window), or in a
textual view some kind of click on the type description could select all
documents of that type.
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

6600pete@hub.UUCP (12/29/89)

Follow-up To: alt.religion.computers

In article <1830@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
>BTW how come I can't drag the file onto the desktop, close the window
>on the subdirectory, then grab the file from where I left it and drop
>it into the window for the root directory? *That* would be intuitive!

I do it every day.
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

From article <7116@shlump.nac.dec.com>, by long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard C. Long):
> The [Finder] selection marquee doesn't work in any non-icon view.

Well, it doesn't work _well_. That needs to be addressed. It _is_ possible.
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills