[comp.sys.mac] uucp for MAC OS?

williams@cs.umass.edu (12/27/89)

I saw a mention of uucp for the MAC in a message recently.  I assume it was
referring to AUX, but this was not clear from the message.

Is there a version of uucp that will work with the MAC os?  Commercial or
public domain/shareware?  If the latter, where can it be ftp'd from?

Please reply by email.  If there are any responses, I will post a summary
here.

Thanks!
Leo Pinard c/o williams@cs.umass.edu

dcoster@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (David Peter Coster) (12/30/89)

In article <7977@dime.cs.umass.edu> williams@cs.umass.edu writes:
>I saw a mention of uucp for the MAC in a message recently.  I assume it was
>referring to AUX, but this was not clear from the message.
>
>Is there a version of uucp that will work with the MAC os?  Commercial or
>public domain/shareware?  If the latter, where can it be ftp'd from?
>
>Please reply by email.  If there are any responses, I will post a summary
>here.
>
>Thanks!
>Leo Pinard c/o williams@cs.umass.edu

According to my list of ftp sites the following might be able to help:

clutx.clarkson.edu         128.153.4.3     Turbo C stuff, net kit, UUPC/extended 1.07f (source and binaries)
j.cc.purdue.edu                            comp.sources.amiga, elm, uupc
van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca        128.189.233.155 interim (uupc)
wuarchive.wustl.edu                        UUPC, info-mac, 4.3BSD-Tahoe,

The following is one of the files included with the uucp ditribution
for the mac:

mac 			June 8, 1987		Stuart Lynne

For Beta implementors only.

uupc incorporates a streamlined version of dcp to implement a uucp mail
and news delivery system.

See README.DCP for dcp info.
See README.UU for overview of this version.

This directory implements the macintosh version of host support routines.
It runs under the Aztec Shell environment.

By moving the host dependant code into one file the other four dcp files can

hopefully be maintained easily. It should be possible to maintain one version
of them which compiles and runs on all machines without conditional compilation
flags.

To simplify things for other systems (Atari) use of -D in the cc command is
not used. Instead various small files are used to set flags and then include
a common file.

host.h 			- include <host/host.h>
mailhost.c		- define MAIN mailmain; include <host/host.h>
mlib.c			- include <host/mlib.c>
ulib.c			- include <host/ulib.c>
uuhost.c		- define MAIN mailmain; include <host/host.h>

mac/host.c 		- generic macintosh host, calls MAIN
mac/host.h 		- macintosh host header file
mac/mlib.c 		- mail library
mac/ulib.c 		- uupc library

mac/profile		- a sample aztec profile file to set environment varialbes

There is actually fairly little code here. I have a separate set of library

routines for doing the standard things like directory support. See
the shar file for the Macintosh library (maclib.shar).

A separate uux command is included in uupc for the Macintosh (not finished yet).
Called macbin it copies a MacBinary image from stdin to a Macintosh file.
This allows macintosh files, including both forks and the finder info to be
stored in a single file on the remote system. It can then be retrieved by:

	uux macfile > remotemac!macbin

A standalone macbin will be available to convert a Macintosh file into a
flat file with the MacBinary image.

For more information, bug fixes, more commands etc:

		Stuart.Lynne@van-bc.uucp
		604-937-7532

PS. July 29/87

See the Amiga version for a genv.c that gets environment var's from
a profile file directly. I havn't had time to try on mac yet.

I have made a VERY PRELIMINARY start at a standalone version, but have
not completed it yet. I hope to get more time to work on this early
in the fall. In the meantime anyone who could get this running as a Mac
application.... please feel free. And send me the changes.

sl

====

I cannot remember where I got my distribution of uupc from --- it was
probably one of those in the list I gave at the beginning.

David Coster

dcoster@phoenix.princeton.edu

alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) (12/31/89)

In article <7977@dime.cs.umass.edu> williams@cs.umass.edu writes:
>I saw a mention of uucp for the MAC in a message recently.  I assume it was
>referring to AUX, but this was not clear from the message.
>
>Is there a version of uucp that will work with the MAC os?  Commercial or
>public domain/shareware?  If the latter, where can it be ftp'd from?

I posted an upgraded (unofficial) version of uupc for the mac-os that
works great (4 beta sites with no bugs other than clumsy interfaces).
The version (2.0) was posted to comp.binary.mac 5 weeks ago, as yet I've had
no confirmation of receipt from the moderator. It is going out to
INFO-MAC today. If anyone wants to host an ftp copy I'd be happy to
email a few. Rascal did offer ftp hosting but I can't get mail through to them
any more (are you out there Werner - please email me and I'll check
the new route).

The distribution is in 2 pieces, binary+running folder hierarchy
100k, sources 160k. The hierarchy is set up to run from floppy or hard disk.
It is modal (sorry) and so will not run in background, but if you
want to dedicate the mac to act as a slave host, it will do that too (i.e.
I've run uupc<->uupc sessions mac->mac at 57k baud (it may run faster).

The sources have been converted to THINK LSC v4.0.

There is no interface to uucp news (anyone wanna write/port one? - great
university cs project!!)

The email interface is functional but not nice. Mail aliases are implemented.
(another great university cs project!!)

The L.sys (called systems) file supports a timeout modifier so that
quick response "expects" can be coded for (good for gandalf initial
prompt aquisition).

If anyone is really desperate I can email a few.

--alen the Lisa slayer (it's a long story)
  ...alen%shappy.UUCP@crash.cts.com (a mac+ uucp host - what a concept!!)