[comp.sys.mac] What about X-windows client/server pairs for mac-os?

alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) (12/31/89)

In article <5954@internal.Apple.COM> rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) writes:
>While MacX has been announced, it is not yet shipping.  It will NOT be
>available through APDA.  Current plans are to distribute it through
>Apple's existing base of Networking and Communications Authorized Dealers.
>I'm sure Apple will make an announcement when it actually starts shipping.

I have an application I want to start building that I'd like to be portable.
It is very windows oriented and the mac will make a great vehicle for it.
I do not want it to be restricted to one display engine. I'd like to
code it for Sun, IBM-PC/PS2 (yech!!), mac etc. The windows vehicle for this
portability is likely to be X-windows.

This will not work for the mac unless a client X will be available under
mac-os. Does/will one exist? Or perhaps someone will host motif on top
of mac-windows calls?

I can post a summary if you wanna email me.
  alen%shappy.UUCP@crash.cts.com (a mac+ uucp host - what a concept!!)
  alen@crash.cts.com

ps - no flames about the ibm comment or I'll post a message to the net about
the new uucp virus (you know, the one that invents and posts the "holy-wars"
messages that go "my machine is better than yours").