[comp.sys.mac] New Software

alh@pyrnova (Alan Holzman) (01/01/90)

Happy Holidays everyone ...

A few software comparison questions ...

	Now that Boomerang 2.0 is out as a Shareware product and Shortcut from
Ray Lau is available, has anyone tried both enough to venture an opinion ?
Whatever happened to Findswell ? This program; once an institution on almost
everyone's Hard disk is now well on its way to obsolesence. Has anyone heard
from Working Software re: plans for a major overhaul ?

	Many of us have been very happily using Quickdex for quite some time.
I remember being told at Macworld last January that "a MAJOR upgrade ...
Quickdex Plus would be out "real soon". Well, 11 months have gone by (still
somewhat short by MAC Vaporware standards) and 2 new products have come out.
How do Address Book Plus and Dynodex compare with Quickdex ? Anyone heard
from Casady & Greene whither Quickdex Plus ?

	I've been quite happy with WriteNow 2.0, but Word4 does have that
great Tables feature and the pressure continues to mount for using Word. Has
anyone found one particular book that makes learning Word4 fairly sensible and
almost enjoyable even ? Is that too blasphemous to even contemplate ?

	Please Email and I'll summarize for the net ...

Happy New Year ;

- Al

jkain@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (01/02/90)

/* Written  2:22 pm  Dec 31, 1989 by alh@pyrnova in silver:comp.sys.mac */
/* ---------- "New Software" ---------- */
[...]

/* End of text from silver:comp.sys.mac */

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (01/02/90)

In article <96643@pyramid.pyramid.com> alh@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Alan Holzman) writes:
>Happy Holidays everyone ...
>
>A few software comparison questions ...
>
>	Now that Boomerang 2.0 is out as a Shareware product and Shortcut from
>Ray Lau is available, has anyone tried both enough to venture an opinion ?
>Whatever happened to Findswell ? This program; once an institution on almost
>everyone's Hard disk is now well on its way to obsolesence. Has anyone heard
>from Working Software re: plans for a major overhaul ?

	I would have to agree with you that between Boomerang and Shortcut,
there is little need for Findswell as both these products do more, and do it
better.  I have not talked to Working Software, but considering that Findswll
was written by David Dunham, and he is now employed by Aldus Corp (as part
of the Persuation development team), I would not hold on waiting for an update.
	I have also heard rumors that Working Software is going to get out
of the utilities market, and concentrate on 'productivity/business software'.

>	Many of us have been very happily using Quickdex for quite some time.
>I remember being told at Macworld last January that "a MAJOR upgrade ...
>Quickdex Plus would be out "real soon". Well, 11 months have gone by (still
>somewhat short by MAC Vaporware standards) and 2 new products have come out.
>How do Address Book Plus and Dynodex compare with Quickdex ? Anyone heard
>from Casady & Greene whither Quickdex Plus ?

	QuickDex Plus/QuickDex 2.0 is still under development. They got partly
into it, when the idea for AME (ACE) hit them and they felt that the time was
better spent on it, than on QD...As soon as AME is completed (REAL SOON NOW)
they should begin work again on QD 2.0.
	Both Address Book Plus and Dynodex are good products (well ABP is VERY
good! <hi david>), remember that they are STRUCTURED address books while QD is
a freeform database.  Some people prefer the former, some the latter. If you
are also interested in printing your address book as well as access from a DA
then check out ABP (Dynodex has NO DA!)

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025