[comp.sys.mac] Direct PS files to a specific folder. How?

sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu (12/29/89)

When printing into a file (postscript file), I have to look for the
generated postscript file in one of the three folders: the current
folder, the application folder, and the system folder, depending on what
application I am using. I wonder if there is a way to direct all
postscript files to a specific folder, say, postscript.

Thank you.

|| Kang Sun [sun@yalevms.bitnet, sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu, yale!sun-kang] ||
|| Yale University, Dept.of Electr.Engin, New Haven, CT 06511-2157, USA ||
zWR.B34sQ'5g9$O5# # Ko?5

vita@daredevil.crd.ge.com (Mark F Vita) (12/30/89)

In article <9704@cs.yale.edu> sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu writes:
>When printing into a file (postscript file), I have to look for the
>generated postscript file in one of the three folders: the current
>folder, the application folder, and the system folder, depending on what
>application I am using. I wonder if there is a way to direct all
>postscript files to a specific folder, say, postscript.

Well, if you enable the "Disk File" checkbox in the LaserWriter dialog
(by mucking with the dialog via ResEdit), and enable Background
Printing, you will gain a number of benefits:

1) Clicking the Disk File checkbox to create a Postscript file is sure
easier than trying to holding down Command-F at the appropriate time.

2) The dumping of the Postscript files to disk can take place in the
background (not possible using the Command-F technique).

3) And lastly, but not leastly, all created Postscript files will be
placed in a folder called "Spool Folder" in the System Folder.  (As
you might expect, this is the same place where the spool files are
created when background printing is on.)

Mark Vita                              vita@crd.ge.com
General Electric CRD               	..!uunet!crd.ge.com!vita
Schenectady, NY

davisd@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Douglas B Davis) (12/30/89)

Mark Vita wrote.....

> If you enable the "Disk File" checkbox in the LaserWriter dialog
> (by mucking with the dialog via ResEdit), and enable Background
> Printing, you will gain a number of benefits:

Could you go into more detail of how to "muck" with the dialog via ResEdit?

Doug

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (12/30/89)

In article <5894@cps3xx.UUCP> davisd@cpsvax.UUCP writes:
>Mark Vita wrote.....
>
>> If you enable the "Disk File" checkbox in the LaserWriter dialog
>> (by mucking with the dialog via ResEdit), and enable Background
>> Printing, you will gain a number of benefits:
>
>Could you go into more detail of how to "muck" with the dialog via ResEdit?
>
>Doug

  An easier way I found was to use the myPageSetup program to enable the
print to disk box, and then use ResEdit to change the location of the box.
I think in the default position it overwrite some text.

						Jeff White
						University of Pennsylvania
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

vita@daredevil.crd.ge.com (Mark F Vita) (01/02/90)

In article <5894@cps3xx.UUCP> davisd@cpsvax.UUCP writes:
>Mark Vita wrote.....
>
>> If you enable the "Disk File" checkbox in the LaserWriter dialog
>> (by mucking with the dialog via ResEdit), and enable Background
>> Printing, you will gain a number of benefits:
>
>Could you go into more detail of how to "muck" with the dialog via ResEdit?
>
>Doug

Here are the instructions for enabling the "Disk File" checkbox in LW
5.2 that I grabbed off the net several weeks ago:

1. Open up DITL #-8191
2. Choose "Select Item Number" from the DITL menu which now appears
3. Enter "22" in the box and press return
4. Choose "Open as Dialog Item" from the File menu
   You should now see a window listing information on the "Disk File"
       item. Notice the location coordinates are all set at zero.
5. Enter 72,327,90,404 for top,left,bottom,right and close the window.
   The "Disk File" item should now appear in your DITL window.
6. Move the "Disk File" item and resize it to how you'd like it
   (My numbers above just represent where I ended up putting it).
7. Close up your windows and say "Yes" to "Save Changes?"

long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard C. Long) (01/03/90)

>[instructions for enabling the "Disk File" checkbox in LW driver deleted]

The "Disk File" checkbox can also be enabled by the shareware application
"MyPageSetup", which can set other print defaults as well.

RCL