[comp.sys.mac] ATM Fonts

schapman@havarti.uucp (Scott Chapman {x6088}) (01/03/90)

I recently purchased that Adobe Type Manager (ATM) and noticed that
the price for other fonts is pretty high (around $100.00 / font
family). Does anyone know who else makes PostScript fonts that would
work with the ATM for cheaper?? There must be places (other than Adobe)
which sells compatable PostScript fonts... Please respond with E-mail
to schapman@cvbnet.prime.com   Thanks in advance!

schapman@havarti.uucp (Scott Chapman {x6088}) writes:

>I recently purchased that Adobe Type Manager (ATM) and noticed that
>the price for other fonts is pretty high (around $100.00 / font
>family). Does anyone know who else makes PostScript fonts that would
>work with the ATM for cheaper??

Well, currently ATM only works with Type 1 fonts, not type 3 (fontographer
created) fonts. Bitstream has cracked the encryption of type 1 fonts, but
their versions (according to reports) don't work with ATM yet. The Font
Company has also announced they'll be setting up all their faces in a Type 1
ATM-compatible format.

The basic answer is: high-quality outline fonts are expensive. Bitstream and
Font Company aren't that much cheaper than Adobe is (street price, at least).

Once Adobe actually releases it's type1 format (as opposed to simply telling
us they will) you can expect everyone doing type 3 fonts to switch over and
you'll probably see the prices go down and the ATM-compatible selection go
up. At least, hopefully.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

An argument requires two voices. Without the opposition, it's just a
whine.  To argue, you have to listen to and rebut the opposition. Most
USENET arguments aren't. They're simply two monologues happening at once.