[comp.sys.mac] Networking 2 Macs cheaply

puklich@plains.uucp@canremote.uucp (puklich@plains.UUCP) (12/21/89)

From: puklich@plains.UUCP (Blayne Puklich)
Subj: Networking 2 Macs cheaply:  How do I?
Orga: North Dakota State University, Fargo

In article <|^'XC@rpi.edu> slart@pawl.rpi.edu (David Bolling) writes:
>My roommate and I each have Mac II's.  They are 50 feet apart from
each >other in the same apartment.  What are the various ways we can
network >them together?  Our objectives are:
>      1) be able to play network games like Strategic Conquest
>         and NetTrek.
>      2) file sharing on an external SCSI hard disk.
>      3) share my LaserWriter IISC (if possible).

To play games, I'm almost sure all is necessary is the LocalTalk
connection between the machines.  But to do the file sharing and LW
sharing, you'll need something like the following.  This is pretty
inexpensive compared to other alternatives.

Probably the best software to use for this small of a network is Tops
by Sun MicroSystems.  For two machines this is much less expensive
than AppleShare, around $137 for each machine (last time I bought
copies).  You'll need also three LocalTalk or equivalent network
connectors.  For your use something that uses phone cabling would be
least expensive, so a connector such as PhoneNet or ModuNet (is this
still available?) would suffice.  Each of these runs around $35, so
what you have so far is roughly $370 plus phone cabling.

You connect them using a bus topology like:

  Mac        Mac        LW
   ^----------^----------^

That's all you'll really need.  You could add more software, such as
laser spooling software, but that's not absolutely necessary.

||+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++|| || Blayne Puklich      puklich@Plains.NoDak.EDU      "I
think I'm going    || || NDSU ACM Vice-Chair
nopuklic@Vaxosaur.NoDak.EDU      bald..."           || || NDSU,
Fargo, ND     This space intentionally left  -- Rush, from Caress ||
|| (701) 237-4408                blank.                  of Steel,
1975    ||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------
------||
---
 * Via MaSNet/HST96/HST144/V32 - UN Mac
 * Via Usenet Newsgroup comp.sys.mac

wilkins@jarthur.claremont@canremote.uucp (wilkins@jarthur.Claremont) (12/21/89)

From: wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins)
Subj: Networking 2 Macs cheaply:  How do I?
Orga: Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA

In article <3016@plains.UUCP> puklich@plains.UUCP (Blayne Puklich)
writes: >In article <|^'XC@rpi.edu> slart@pawl.rpi.edu (David
Bolling) writes: >>My roommate and I each have Mac II's.  They are 50
feet apart from each >>other in the same apartment.  What are the
various ways we can network >>them together?  Our objectives are:

deleted objectives...

>>      3) share my LaserWriter IISC (if possible).

>You connect them using a bus topology like:
>
>  Mac        Mac        LW
>   ^----------^----------^
>
>That's all you'll really need.  You could add more software, such as
laser >spooling software, but that's not absolutely necessary.

  The LaserWriter IISC does not have a provision for connecting it to
an appletalk network, or so I thought.  There might be some sort of
printing software which one could use to print on a LW IISC connected
to another machine...  a real hacked-up way would be to use an A/B
switch made for SCSI and connect BOTH machines.
  But then you'd have to do your own bus arbitration.

-- Mark Wilkins

---
 * Via MaSNet/HST96/HST144/V32 - UN Mac
 * Via Usenet Newsgroup comp.sys.mac

gjb@cs.brown.edu (Greg Brail) (01/03/90)

Actually, you don't need PhoneNet or AppleTalk connectors if all you
want to do is connect two Macs. Just use a Mac-ImageWriter cable (one
with mini-8 connectors on both ends). I'm not sure if this is
"allowed," but it should work--I have connected a Mac Plus with a
512KE using a mac 512K-ImageWriter cable with no trouble. This will
let you play NetTrek, and will also let you share files on the hard
disk if you buy TOPS or Personal Server Network (or wait for System
7.0?). You won't be able to share the printer unless you get it
upgraded to a LaserWriter IINT, and then you'd have to buy PhoneNet or
AppleTalk connectors anyway.

			-greg
Greg Brail
Internet: gjb@cs.brown.edu  BITNET: gjb@browncs.bitnet
UUCP:	..uunet!brunix!gjb  Home:   (401)863-6284