[comp.sys.mac] DiskExpress II - first impressions

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (12/23/89)

My upgrade-copy of DiskExpress II arrived last night.  I installed
it on my Mac II and played with it for a couple of hours.

Impressions:

-  It's sophisticated.  A lot of thought went into it.

-  Its disk-compaction scheme is different than that of DiskExpress.
   DiskExpress packs everything together at the beginning of the volume
   with the free space at the end.  DiskExpress II places frequently-
   used files at the beginning of the volume, with "active" files
   (used but not changed in size) before "volatile" (used, and changed
   in size).  Unused files, and those used only occasionally, go at
   the end of the volume.  The free space goes in the middle.

   This seems like a very effective scheme.

-  It keeps track of what files you use, accumulates this information over
   a period of several days, and uses the information to decide which
   files to put where.  You can turn this monitoring off on a volume-
   by-volume basis; if you do, DiskExpress II won't automatically optimize
   the volume, and it'll use some built-in assumptions about file usage
   when you optimize manually.

-  It does indeed operate in the background.  A few minutes after you boot,
   it starts up, does a read-verification pass on the volume (checking for
   bad blocks), analyzes your usage, and then starts moving files around.
   If you start doing some work (typing, clicking, etc.), DiskExpress II
   goes idle until you've had your hands off the machine for a while
   (10-15 seconds, I think).

-  You can do a block-verify or an optimization pass at any time, by
   opening up the Control Panel device and clicking a few times.
   DiskExpress II puts up a dialog box so you can monitor its progress.

-  You can bring up a display of a volume's fragmentation status from
   the Control Panel. The display is more sophisticated than that
   available in DiskExpress... it categorizes blocks into one of four
   categories which are displayed using different patterns or colors.

-  DiskExpress II can move System files, applications, INITs, etc. around
   without triggering Gatekeeper vetoes.

I've only run into one glitch so far.. it's significant but not really
dangerous, as far as I can tell:

*  If DiskExpress II is performing a background optimization, opening up
   or closing the Control Panel device appears to disrupt the optimization.

   If DEII was optimizing the boot volume, opening up the Control Panel
   device causes this optimization to stop.  Optimization proceeds with
   the next eligible volume.  The boot-volume won't be optimized again
   unless you reboot, or (I infer) wait until the next day, or
   optimize it manually from the Control Panel.

   If DEII is optimizing a volume, and you _close_ its Control Panel
   device, the optimization is disrupted in a strange way.  I've done
   this four times.  Once, DEII put up a "Grim Reaper" dialog telling
   me that a problem had been found in the directory on the volume
   being optimized. Twice, DEII aborted the optimization and reported
   an error code of -38 (which my crib-DA tells me is "File isn't open").
   Once, my Mac II hung, and required a reboot.

   In none of these situations did any apparent damage occur to my
   disk volume or to the files therein (although only time will tell
   whether other problems lurk within).

I've been trying to get through to ALSoft to report this problem, but
their lines are busy... I suspect others have encountered it, as well ;-).

Overall, I'm _very_ impressed.  I wish I knew how they're able to do
what they're doing!
--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

warner@s3dawn.ARPA (Ken Warner) (12/23/89)

I've tried to run DiskExpress II in automatic optimization mode on a volume
where I run ParcPlace Smalltalk-80 V2.3.  It *seems* to cause Smalltalk-80 to
fail with "Smalltalk unexpectedly quit" followed by a system error.

I say *seems* because immediately after I installed DEII, I began to get these
errors.  After three failures I manually optimized the affected volume and
turned DEII off.  No more problems and a noticeable performance improvement.

I will continue to use DEII manually until I switch to V2.5.  Then I'll try it
again.

Ken Warner

magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) (12/25/89)

I've been running DE II for 4 days now and have had numerous crashes on what
was a fairly stable system.  Last month, a pgm. called United 1.04, came
across comp.binaries.mac    After it crashed a few times, I removed all
INITS except DE II, and my mac (SE/30, 6.0.3, 5 meg.) crashed every time
I tried to run it.

What I'm doing, until they release a bug fix, is remove DE II and reinstall it
every few days ONLY to do a manual optimization and then remove it again.  I
lose the benifit of it's monitoring and customized optimization.  I still prefer
it to the original DiskExpress which required booting from a seperate volume.

ah....life...:-(

--
	------------    ------------   ----------------------
	Ben Liberman    USENET         magik@chinet.chi.il.us

carmi@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Aviram Carmi) (12/27/89)

In article <1989Dec24.200013.3435@chinet.chi.il.us> magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) writes:
>I've been running DE II for 4 days now and have had numerous crashes on what
>was a fairly stable system....
>
>What I'm doing, until they release a bug fix, is remove DE II and reinstall it
>every few days ONLY to do a manual optimization and then remove it again.  I
>lose the benifit of it's monitoring and customized optimization.  I still prefer
>it to the original DiskExpress which required booting from a seperate volume.
>
>ah....life...:-(

I have also experianced numerous crashes, even with the machine idling.
i.e. no programs running or program running but not doing a thing for
couple of minutes and than suddenly the machine would crash.
My solution was to use the "off" radio button, uncheck auto monitoring,
and do manual optimization by checking the "on" button and optimizing.

Avi Carmi (carmi@mars.jpl.nasa.gov)

magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) (12/28/89)

I talked to AlSoft today (713-353-1510 for tech support) and they are sending
me Release 2.03 (I have 2.00).

As usuall, reports to the interested - summary to the net if demand warrants

--
	------------    ------------   ----------------------
	Ben Liberman    USENET         magik@chinet.chi.il.us
	                GEnie,Delphi   MAGIK

cca@pur-phy (Charles C. Allen) (12/30/89)

Is it possible to run Disk Express II in the same way as the original
Disk Express?  I would like to know if DE II can be used as an
application that I fire up once a month.  I specifically don't want
anything to be installed as an INIT, DA, etc.  The upgrade info seems
unclear about this.

Charles Allen		cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu

carmi@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Aviram Carmi) (01/01/90)

In article <2948@pur-phy> cca@pur-phy (Charles C. Allen) writes:
>Is it possible to run Disk Express II in the same way as the original
>Disk Express?  I would like to know if DE II can be used as an
>application that I fire up once a month.  I specifically don't want
>anything to be installed as an INIT, DA, etc.  The upgrade info seems
>unclear about this.
>
>Charles Allen		cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu

Disk Express II is an init/cdev combination.  It can be configured
to automatically monitor your drives for file usage and to automatically
optimize in the background while either finder or multifinder is running.
It can also be configured to only monitor your usage without automatic
optimization, which can be done manually through the control panel.
Or you can also disable the monitoring and when you optimize manually,
Disk Express will use a default algorithm to optimize the disk.
They do have a problem automatically optimizing under system 6.0.2
(which is what I am using), as soon as it tries to optimize in the
background it crashes.  I called tech support and they are sending me
version 2.03 which should solve this problem (the problem does not exist
under 6.0.3, I did not ask about 6.0.4).  Meanwhile I was told to disable
automatic optimization but to enable monitoring, and optimize manually
every few days, which seems to work fine.
So you can use it in the monitoring/manual optimizing mode and manually
optimize once a month.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Avi Carmi (carmi@mars.jpl.nasa.gov)

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (01/03/90)

I phoned ALSoft last Friday, and reported the two problems I had seen
during background optimizations.

1) Opening the Control Panel, while background optimization is taking
   place on the boot volume, causes that optimization to stop, and
   analysis and optimization of the next volume to begin.  Optimization
   of the boot volume starts up again later.

   Response from ALSoft: "That's not a problem."  He didn't say why.

   After observing DE II somewhat further, I infer that it will abort
   its optimization process if you do anything which updates the volume
   being optimized... presumably because any such change invalidates the
   INIT's analysis data.  I believe that opening the Control Panel DA
   causes some change to the System file, and triggers this
   invalidation-check. Fair enough.

2) Closing the DiskExpress II Control Panel, while background
   optimization is taking place on a non-boot volume, causes the
   optimization to abort somewhat messily a few seconds later, with one
   of a number of messages (directory problems, filesystem errors, or a
   system hang).  No loss of data occurred (apparently).

   Response from ALSoft: "Hmm.  That _is_ a problem!  What's your street
   address.  OK, got it... what's your serial number?  OK, I'll send you
   version 2.03".

Version 2.03 arrived today via UPS Blue Label (second-day air).  I
installed and tested it.  Behavior [1] still exists;  I can live with
it.  Behavior [2] is gone... opening and closing the Control Panel
device while a non-boot volume is being optimized has no adverse effect
on the optimization.

I'm impressed, and happy!  DiskExpress II does a very effective job of
optimizing an HFS volume... particularly if you leave the "monitor"
feature turned on, so that it can keep track of which files you're
actually using.  I haven't observed any adverse effect from its
monitoring feature.

Using DiskExpress II is another reason to leave your Mac on overnight.
It does its daily optimization when you boot, _or_ at midnight.  If you
leave your Mac up and running when you go home, you'll come in every
morning to a freshly-optimized disk.

... and, if you have an Apple/Quantum drive with sticky arm-lubricant,
DiskExpress II will probably keep it limbered up during the nightly
workout.  You might be less likely to encounter the dreaded "new-ROM-
decides-to-exercise-the-arm-with-a-terrible-buzzing-and-a-serious-
performance-decrease-while-you-are-trying-to-get-your-term-paper-
printed-for-the-final-time" syndrome.

--

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (01/04/90)

In article <43490@improper.coherent.com> dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) writes:
>(lots of observations about DiskExpress II behavior)

Has anyone yet used DiskExpress II on an AppleShare file server?  Seems to
me that a server would tend to develop more fragmentation than a normal
user's hard disk, particularly if something like a database is being
accessed and augmented regularly.  And because a network is only as fast
as its slowest component, it's reasonable to think that you want your
server disk to be operating as efficiently and quickly as possible.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |