[comp.sys.mac] Dollars and $ense problem

hankin@sauron.osf.org (Scott Hankin) (01/03/90)

Well, I knew my luck wouldn't hold out forever, and it hasn't.

Yesterday (January 1) I went to add some transactions to my account.  I was
told that I had to close the previous year first.  I tried to do so, and it
bombed.  After several attempts with identical results, I finally ended up
setting the clock back to December 31 and adding my transactions.  But I
can't do this forever, or the last week in December is going to show
unwarranted account activity.

I've been using Dollars and $ense version 4.0 (no letter) from a floppy
with a 5.0 system on it because of problems encountered with running it on
my hard disk under 6.0.1.  I don't like dealing with Monogram in general
when I don't have to, but now it seems I do.

Do any of the D&S users out there know how I can go about getting an
upgrade to the latest version?  What IS the latest version?  How much will
it cost?  Who do I contact?

I only ask here because I get frustrated calling them up, using their phone
menu system to get to a point where they just record my message anyway.  In
the past the message saying that someone would get back to me as soon as
possible apparently was being sarcastic, for no one ever did.

Can someone provide a helpful pointer for me?  I'd really appreciate it.

- Scott

------------------------------
Scott Hankin  (hankin@osf.org)
Open Software Foundation

wiseman@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (01/04/90)

In article <2368@paperboy.OSF.ORG> hankin@sauron.osf.org (Scott Hankin) writes:

>Well, I knew my luck wouldn't hold out forever, and it hasn't.
>
>Yesterday (January 1) I went to add some transactions to my account.  I was
>told that I had to close the previous year first.  I tried to do so, and it
>bombed.  After several attempts with identical results, I finally ended up
>setting the clock back to December 31 and adding my transactions.  But I
>can't do this forever, or the last week in December is going to show
>unwarranted account activity.

Boy you had me scared with this one until I read the rest of your posting :-)

>I've been using Dollars and $ense version 4.0 (no letter) from a floppy
>with a 5.0 system on it because of problems encountered with running it on
>my hard disk under 6.0.1.  I don't like dealing with Monogram in general
>when I don't have to, but now it seems I do.

Two problems here. Version 4.0 is shot full of trouble, Scott. It was a MAJOR
change from the previous versions and just plain NEVER should have been
released. Like, we're talking bug central here!
Inside of a year (I think) they released versions 4.1a, 4.1b, and 4.1c.
I have been using 4.1c and I know it is much better than 4.0. Also, you
really should have system 6.0.2 on your system. From what I understand 6.0.1
was only released for a week or two and then recalled by apple. 6.0.2 is a much
more stable OS to use. 4.1c has quite a few bugs in it too but they all seem to
be nuisance type bugs that you can work around as you get familiar with them.

>Do any of the D&S users out there know how I can go about getting an
>upgrade to the latest version?  What IS the latest version?  How much will
>it cost?  Who do I contact?

It seems to me that the updates were free. Please don't quote me on that
though! In any event they were trivial because of the number of bugs fixed,
especially since release 4.0.

The latest version is 5.0 that you can buy from mail order places. I think that
I saw it for $81 from MacWarehouse. I am trying to get a detailed list of fixes
that it contains as well as new features (ie. DOES ANYBODY HAVE A COPY OF THE
README FILE FROM THIS RELEASE THAT THEY CAN BINHEX AND MAIL TO ME???). I think
that I will wait until they have stabilized it (5.1a??) before upgrading unless
it's cheap.

>I only ask here because I get frustrated calling them up, using their phone
>menu system to get to a point where they just record my message anyway.  In
>the past the message saying that someone would get back to me as soon as
>possible apparently was being sarcastic, for no one ever did.

This is the delema of the D&S user! Bugs and and lack of support! But darn it
all, it's such an EFFECTIVE interface! Hard to give up after you have gotten
used to its flexability. I have talked to many D&S users who tell me about
trying to move to MacMoney (they have wonderful support and often free updates)
and eventually came back due to D&S's flexability.

Anyway, try sending mail to 76701.12@compuserve.com that is a Mr. Polacek who
is Asst. Mngr. of something or other. He typically answers all of Monogram's
mail on compuserve. He has answered all of mine. Unfortunatly, Monogram has no
idea that usenet exists it seems, but now that we have this wonderful gateway
to compuserve!!!

Anyway, Hope that this helps. You might check with Monogram and see if they
mind you just getting a copy of 4.1c from someone who has it. The manual that
you get with it is the 4.0 manual anyway (the readme file tends to cover some
of the new stuff).

Good luck

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM