[comp.sys.mac] ATM leaves *HUGE GAP* after italics!

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (12/28/89)

I'm using ATM with WriteNow and an ImageWriter II.  You can generally count me
as a very satisfied ATM user.  I find it to be nothing short of amazing.  But
I find the spacing when there's a transition from italics to plain text to be
just huge.  You see it on the screen too.  And yes, I do turn on "Use Printer
Spacing" in WriteNow's Page Setup.

Whose fault is this?  Can I fix it?  Do I have to buy software that will let me
kern?

I'm getting the hankers for the GCC PLP II.  To have this problem in otherwise
eyeball-zapping print quality would sure be a shame!
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (01/04/90)

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:

>I'm using ATM with WriteNow and an ImageWriter II.  You can generally count me
>as a very satisfied ATM user.  I find it to be nothing short of amazing.  But
>I find the spacing when there's a transition from italics to plain text to be
>just huge.  You see it on the screen too.  And yes, I do turn on "Use Printer
>Spacing" in WriteNow's Page Setup.

I've forever had this problem in PageFaker 2.0x and 3.0x myself--ATM or
no.  I always thought it PM's fault.  No?

	Alex

wiseman@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (01/05/90)

In article <1990Jan4.100234.28177@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us> alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>
>>I'm using ATM with WriteNow and an ImageWriter II.  You can generally count me
>>as a very satisfied ATM user.  I find it to be nothing short of amazing.  But
>>I find the spacing when there's a transition from italics to plain text to be
>>just huge.  You see it on the screen too.  And yes, I do turn on "Use Printer
>>Spacing" in WriteNow's Page Setup.
>
>I've forever had this problem in PageFaker 2.0x and 3.0x myself--ATM or
>no.  I always thought it PM's fault.  No?

This is curious. When you changed your font from an italic to plain style, was
it before or after the space? In other words, is there such thing as an italic
space?

Just wondering. I remember some kind of a problem with MacWriteII (the initial
release, I think) where "bold spaces" needed to be changed to "plain spaces" in
order for some of the Bold text spacing to look correct. Could this be a
similar kind of problem?

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM