[comp.sys.mac] new adb mouse

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (12/22/89)

I've recently acquired a new SE/30, to replace my old SE.  While I'm quite
pleased with the new machine's performance, the mouse that came with it
is abysmally horrible.

The button is HARD to push.  Much harder than any other mouse I've ever used
on any machine anywhere.

And evidently Apple doesn't think mouse balls need to be heavy anymore; this
one is light as a feather, and I suspect that's the reason I'm having trouble
getting the pointer to move consistently (sometimes, it just doesn't move;
and this is on the exact same table the old one was).

So, I've switched back to my old adb mouse, even though its switch bounces
occasionally.  At least I can use it without getting finger hernias, and
the pointer moves when I move the mouse ALL the time, instead of only some
of the time.

Anybody else bought a Mac recently and dislike the mouse?
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

tod@parsely.uucp (Tod Oace) (12/24/89)

In article <1989Dec22.143715.3631@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>Anybody else bought a Mac recently and dislike the mouse?

Yes.  I don't mind the tougher button, but the mis-tracking really
bugs me.
I wonder if it could be made to work better somehow...

--
Tod Oace (tod@parsely.UUCP)	...!tektronix.TEK.COM!percy!parsely!tod

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (12/24/89)

Re: Bad SE/030 mouse.

Of course, we all suffer with that mouse.  Apple's official position
is "it's an improvement".  Since the original mouse was MADE IN THE
USA, and the "improved" mouse is MADE IN SINGAPORE, you can draw your
own conclusions.

I've notice that the mouseball is lighter, and the metal rollers
inside the mouse have been replace with slick plastic rollers that
only roll with that mouseball at their own convenience.

Sheesh.  Penny-pinching Apple.

friedman@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Daniel Friedman) (12/24/89)

In article <126900129@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

    ... stuff about the new mouse ...

>I've notice that the mouseball is lighter, and the metal rollers
>inside the mouse have been replace with slick plastic rollers that
>only roll with that mouseball at their own convenience.
>
>Sheesh.  Penny-pinching Apple.

  Well, the metal rollers are prone to corrosion (at least mine are)
so maybe this is the reason for the switch to plastic?

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (12/26/89)

SD> I've recently acquired a new SE/30, to replace my old SE. While
SD> I'm quite pleased with the new machine's performance, the mouse
SD> that came with it is abysmally horrible.

I guess it's really a matter of taste.. i had been used to the old
adb mouse, i fealt it was a big improvement over the clunker from the
512K's... but i like the new adb mouse EVEN BETTER. I noticed that the
button was a bit firmer that the origional, but after a few weeks, i either
got used to it, or i "broke it in"... i'm not sure which, but at this
point, i dont notice the difference.

But I think the best part is the new ball... it's a bit smaller and lighter.
It makes the mouse simply glide across the pad.. i feal a lot more comfortable with it, and i haven't noticed any difference in the precision.

 (.) (.) | Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719    | BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A
    u    | USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu       | 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725
  \___/  | BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet        | Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (12/26/89)

If you are unhappy with your mouse, I'd recommend a look at the A+
Mouse from MSC Technologies (nee Mouse Systems).  It comes in versions
(not interchangeable) for old Macs (Plus and earlier) and for ADB (SE
and newer).  It uses no moving parts; rather, internal laser(s)
reflecting from a special mouse pad.  I've never had any trouble with
it.  If you use a Sun workstation, the manufacturer is the same (but
the A+ only has one button, of course).  The main disadvantage is the
requirement for the special mouse pad; but as I had been using a
rubber mouse pad already this was no change for me (in fact, I keep
the optical pad on top of the old pad).  The optical pad that comes is
thinner and not as stiff as the Sun version, but again that has proved
to be no disadvantage.  No software comes with the mouse, nor is any
special software needed.  It is available from mail order places for
$90 or less (ADB version, older interface is cheaper).

I have no connection with MSC except as a satisfied user.

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |  "There were sweetheart roses on Yancey Wilmerding's
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  bureau that morning.  Wide-eyed and distraught, she
POTS: (617)873-3463  |  stood with all her faculties rooted to the floor."

wsinkees@lso.win.tue.nl (Kees Huizing) (01/02/90)

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) writes:

>If you are unhappy with your mouse, I'd recommend a look at the A+
>Mouse from MSC Technologies (nee Mouse Systems).  It comes in versions
>(not interchangeable) for old Macs (Plus and earlier) and for ADB (SE
>and newer).  It uses no moving parts; rather, internal laser(s)
>reflecting from a special mouse pad.                   ^^^^^^^
Are you sure they are no LED's?  (serious informative question)

Kees
--
Kees Huizing - Eindhoven Univ of Techn - Dept Math & Comp Sc - The Netherlands
DOMAIN: wsinkees@win.tue.nl    BITNET: wsdckeesh@heitue5    FAX: +31-40-436685

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (01/03/90)

In article <800@tuewsd.lso.win.tue.nl> wsinkees@lso.win.tue.nl (Kees Huizing) writes:
|levin@bbn.com (I myself) wrote:
|
|>If you are unhappy with your mouse, I'd recommend a look at the A+
|>Mouse . . .  It uses no moving parts; rather, internal laser(s)
|>reflecting from a special mouse pad.                   ^^^^^^^
|							|||||||
|Are you sure they are no LED's?  (serious informative question)

Err... no.  I believe they are probably LEDs.  But last week was a
funny week, one I maybe should have kept my keyboard shut in :-).
(Also, lasers are becoming common in the real world these days, what
with supermarket checkout counters and CD players.)

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (01/03/90)

In article <126900129@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>Of course, we all suffer with that mouse.  Apple's official position
>is "it's an improvement".  Since the original mouse was MADE IN THE
>USA, and the "improved" mouse is MADE IN SINGAPORE, you can draw your
>own conclusions.
>
>I've notice that the mouseball is lighter, and the metal rollers
>inside the mouse have been replace with slick plastic rollers that
>only roll with that mouseball at their own convenience.
>
>Sheesh.  Penny-pinching Apple.

Actually, there are actually some good reasons for the new ADB mouse:

1) Manufacturing in Singapore, although slightly less expensive, was actually
done to free up space in Fremont for the IIci and Portable.

2) The new mouse consumes much less power; which is very important on the
Portable.

3) It's lighter, too.  Anyone who has lugged a laptop through an airport knows
how important that is.

						_emt

daw@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (David Wolverton) (01/05/90)

In article <800@tuewsd.lso.win.tue.nl>, wsinkees@lso.win.tue.nl (Kees Huizing) writes:
> levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) writes:
>
> >If you are unhappy with your mouse, I'd recommend a look at the A+
> >Mouse from MSC Technologies (nee Mouse Systems).  It comes in versions
> >(not interchangeable) for old Macs (Plus and earlier) and for ADB (SE
> >and newer).  It uses no moving parts; rather, internal laser(s)
> >reflecting from a special mouse pad.                   ^^^^^^^
> Are you sure they are no LED's?  (serious informative question)

They are LEDs; a red one on one axis and an infrared (?) one on the other
axis.  I also have an A+ Mouse (the "old Mac" version) and love it.

Dave Wolverton
daw@attunix.att.com