[comp.sys.mac] INIT INIT

jow@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Joel Wachman) (01/04/90)

I saw a demo of some software from Silicon Beach about a year ago,
and as the guy booted his mac (ie, before the demo) his inits showed
up in this sort of window that allowed him to select which ones to
run.  Now, I've seen an init which allows you to bring up a list of
your inits and select which ones to run, but that was not what this
guy used.  The software he had put all of the icons up on the screen,
in rows of about 8 across.  I think he could click on the ones he
wanted to load, or just continue by default.  I'm not sure.

Has anyone seen this?  Maybe it was some sort of Silicon Beach internal
hack or something?  I dunno.

	      Joel Wachman [jow@media-lab.media.mit.edu]
		  MIT Media Laboratory Cambridge, MA
			  (617) 258-5956

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez) (01/04/90)

In article <1310@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> you write:
>and as the guy booted his mac (ie, before the demo) his inits showed
>up in this sort of window that allowed him to select which ones to
>...  The software he had put all of the icons up on the screen,
>in rows of about 8 across.  I think he could click on the ones he
>wanted to load, or just continue by default.  I'm not sure.

What you're probably referring to is an INIT manager called Aask.
It performs the same function as init/cdev 2.0 (shareware) and init-picker
(commercial).  It's part of a commercial package that displays the icons of
the init's that you want to load.  If you click on one, an X appears over its
icon and then you can continue (it will keep these init's off until you change
them again) or you can click on the temp button where it will remember the
previous settings and ignore these for the next time you reboot.  I can
get more info if you really NEED to know.  MacWorld (I think Oct. issue)
discussed these init's and others.
--Willi

In article <1310@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> you write:
>and as the guy booted his mac (ie, before the demo) his inits showed
>up in this sort of window that allowed him to select which ones to
>...  The software he had put all of the icons up on the screen,
>in rows of about 8 across.  I think he could click on the ones he
>wanted to load, or just continue by default.  I'm not sure.

What you're referring to is probably an INIT manager called Aask.
It performs the same function as init/cdev 2.0 (shareware) and init-picker
(commercial).  It's part of a commercial package that displays the icons of
the init's that you want to load.  If you click on one, an X appears over its
icon and then you can continue (it will keep these init's off until you change
them again) or you can click on the temp button where it will remember the
previous settings and ignore these for the next time you reboot.  I can
get more info if you really NEED to know.  MacWorld (I think Oct. issue)
discussed these init's and others.
--Willi

TCO1@PSUVM.BITNET (01/04/90)

What you discribe sounds like AASK from C.E. software.  It is part of the
MockPackage Utilities.  A freeware program called Init cdev is an
alternative.  Init Picker by Microseeds would be another option.

Tim Oravec                      TCO1@PSUVM.BITNET
Agronomy Dept.
Penn State U.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with any software company.  I do however
own a copy of AASK and have used Init Cdev.

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (01/05/90)

:
: Has anyone seen this?  Maybe it was some sort of Silicon Beach internal
: hack or something?  I dunno.

Sounds like Aask which is part of the MockPackage set of utilities from
CESoftware (approximately $27 from mail order places like MacConnection,
MacWarehouse, etc.)

--
Larry Baum
Advanced Technology Center

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) (01/05/90)

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez) writes:

>It performs the same function as init/cdev 2.0 (shareware) and init-picker
						^^^^^^^^^^^

Init cdev is HAPPIWARE ("if you like it, remember to smile").  The most
the author asks for is "a picture postcard of your hometown" so that he
has some idea what far corners of the planet it has reached.
--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (01/05/90)

In article <1310@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> jow@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Joel Wachman) writes:
>I saw a demo of some software from Silicon Beach about a year ago,
>and as the guy booted his mac (ie, before the demo) his inits showed
>up in this sort of window that allowed him to select which ones to
>run.  Now, I've seen an init which allows you to bring up a list of
>your inits and select which ones to run, but that was not what this
>guy used.  The software he had put all of the icons up on the screen,
>in rows of about 8 across.  I think he could click on the ones he
>wanted to load, or just continue by default.  I'm not sure.

This sounds a lot like Aask, the INIT manager from CE Software.  It's
included in their MockPackage kit.  Nice, but for the price I'd prefer
Microseeds Initpicker (or whatever they're calling it these days).  And the
various freeware INIT managers have almost as much functionality as Aask
anyway.

                           "We're mostly sympathetic, only occasionally
                            empathic, and very very very rarely telepathic."
                                           -- Kathy Li
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla, uiucuxc}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...