[comp.sys.mac] Genealogy / Family-tree software

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (12/29/89)

Well, the gauntlet has been passed down.  At our Hanukah party my
uncle passed to me the task of maintaining our family tree.  So I
am now looking for software to help me.

My needs are pretty simple, we only have a few (less than six)
generations of data, involving maybe 75-150 people.
It should be able (ideally) to handle multiple marriages
(given the modern world we live in) and track multiple intertwined
trees (ie info for both matrilinial and patrilineal trees).

I know this has been asked recently, so just send me a summary
if you have info.

Thanks alot,

Josh
-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

lars@salt.acc.com (Lars J Poulsen) (01/05/90)

In article <18544@netnews.upenn.edu>
   hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) writes:
>Well, the gauntlet has been passed down.  At our Hanukah party my
>uncle passed to me the task of maintaining our family tree.  So I
>am now looking for software to help me.

>My needs are pretty simple, we only have a few (less than six)
>generations of data, involving maybe 75-150 people.
>It should be able (ideally) to handle multiple marriages
>(given the modern world we live in) and track multiple intertwined
>trees (ie info for both matrilinial and patrilineal trees).

One of these days, I should put this in a canned posting:

Whenever family history comes up, the best starting point is to call up
the Family History Library of the local Mormon Church (Latter Day
Saints). Family history is a religious rite for the Mormons, so as a
religious service to their members, the church has developed the
"Personal Ancestral File" program package, which sells for about $40
including shipping, handling and credit card fee. There is also a
support hotline ...

The program handles an infinite number of marriages (another Mormon
tradition). It has a bunch of stuff to record Mormon sacraments (sealing
to spouse, endowment etc) but these can be turned off, leaving only the
standard stuff: Birth, Baptism, Marriage, Death, Burial. The interface
is VERY Mac-ish. There is a compatible PC version, and the package
includes a terminal emulator program with extensions to transfer the
data files maintained by the program between macs and PC, setting them
up with the right creator/type fields and preserving file structure.

At this price, how can you lose ?
Unfortunately, I am at work, and the phone numbers are at home. But you
can get them from the local mormon church. They are generally very
helpful, even to "heathens" like you and me. If you want to try 800
directory information, the ordering number is called "Corporation of the
President of the Church of LDS".

Good luck, and have fun !!
--
/ Lars Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com>   (800) 222-7308  or (805) 963-9431 ext 358
  ACC Customer Service              Affiliation stated for identification only

tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) (01/06/90)

There is a hypercard stack on sumex.stanford.edu that allows the
storage and retrieval of family tree info.