[comp.sys.mac] GIF viewer needed

4203_5021@uwovax.uwo.ca (12/17/89)

This is like trying to find a needle in a haystack:

Does anyone know how i can get my hands on a GIF format graphics
viewer for a colour mac?  I have been trying to ftp one from a lot
of systems but haven't been able to find one... there are a LOT of
places to look.

Anyway, an ftp address, and some possible subdirectories would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Patrick Bradd                          "Before you kill somebody,
4203_5021@uwovax.uwo.ca                    make absolutely sure he
                                           isn't well connected....
                                        So it goes." <K.V.>

J.COOK@ENS.Prime.COM (12/19/89)

Re: GIF Viewer Needed
> Patrick Bradd at 4203_5021@uwovax.uwo.ca  writes:
>
>Does anyone know how i can get my hands on a GIF format graphics
>viewer for a colour mac?  I have been trying to ftp one from a lot
>of systems but haven't been able to find one... there are a LOT of
>places to look.

I have an old demo version of a program called GIFConverter.  I believe
it handles 8 bit color.  It may have been further improved in the last
year or two.

The info box reports the author as being Kevin A Mitchell,
7234 W. North Ave #1608, Elmwood Park, IL  60635.
It also reports "Please send comments and bug reports to
74017,2573 via EasyPlex, or visit the Picture Support Forum (GO PICS)."

Hope this helps.  If it does, drop me a line what you find and where
you find nifty pic's.

Jim Cook (J.COOK@ENS.Prime.COM)
"Just my misinformation.  Prime already has all it needs."

willcox@urbana.mcd.mot.com (David A Willcox) (01/05/90)

> Patrick Bradd at 4203_5021@uwovax.uwo.ca  writes:
>
>Does anyone know how i can get my hands on a GIF format graphics
>viewer for a colour mac?  I have been trying to ftp one from a lot
>of systems but haven't been able to find one... there are a LOT of
>places to look.

Anything wrong with the "giffer" program?  There's a copy in
info-mac/art/gif/giffer-103.hqx at sumex-aim.stanford.edu.

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (01/05/90)

willcox@urbana.mcd.mot.com (David A Willcox) writes:

>> Patrick Bradd at 4203_5021@uwovax.uwo.ca  writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know how i can get my hands on a GIF format graphics
>>viewer for a colour mac?  I have been trying to ftp one from a lot
>>of systems but haven't been able to find one... there are a LOT of
>>places to look.

>Anything wrong with the "giffer" program?  There's a copy in
>info-mac/art/gif/giffer-103.hqx at sumex-aim.stanford.edu.
                         ^^^

106 should also be there and it fixes a lot of problems, particularly if you
have 32 bit QD around.  It is also more reliable than 1.03 (at least in my
experience).

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

rdsesq@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Rob Snevely) (01/06/90)

The best Gif viewer I have found for a Mac is Vision Lab. It seems
more stable then Giffer and also does a slew of graphics file conversions.
Gif, Pict File, Pict Res, Pixel Paint, and EPSF. It is on sumex in
info-mac/demo/vision-lab.hqx.

rob snevely

rdsesq@jessica.stanford.edu
        | "It is considered ill-mannered to kill |
        | your friends while commiting suicide." |
        |        Avon (Blake's Seven)            |