[comp.sys.mac] adding a font to MS WORD 3.01 & 4

tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) (01/06/90)

Hi...how do I add to the list of fonts available for use in
MS WORD 3.01?  Chicago, Courier and Times in various sizes
are available out of the box.  I want to add runic/cryilic/greek
type fonts.  I have the fonts on my system, but don't know how
to make them available in WORD.

phaedrus@blake.acs.washington.edu (the Wanderer) (01/06/90)

In article <40300@lanl.gov> tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) writes:

>Hi...how do I add to the list of fonts available for use in
>MS WORD 3.01?  Chicago, Courier and Times in various sizes
>are available out of the box.  I want to add runic/cryilic/greek
>type fonts.  I have the fonts on my system, but don't know how
>to make them available in WORD.

     Ah, yes.  The Word 3 Font menu.  Such fun.
     Newly-installed fonts have to be specifically added to the Font menu
before they appear there.  To do this, go to the Format Character dialog
box; there should be a "Font" list there, which should contain ALL the
fonts in your system (whether they're displayed in the main Font menu or
not).  Hold down Command and Option, and press "+"; your pointer should
change to a plus sign.  Then click (or maybe double-click... wish I had my
Mac handy) on the font in the list that you want to add to the menu; the
Mac will beep, the pointer will change back to an arrow, and the font will
be added to the Font menu.
     Except in this particular instance, this Command-Option-+ process is
actually one of the more useful features in the Word system.  You can click
with the "+" pointer on nearly anything (fonts, styles, formats, even documents
from the Open... dialog box); what you clicked on will appear in an
appropriate menu, where it can be more easily selected next time.  If you
want to remove something from a menu, just press Command-Option-- (minus)
instead of Command-Option-+.
--
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.